Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I have been attempting to update some of the programs and libraries on my system using apt-get, but I have been running into some difficulties. When I type "apt-get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

apt-get cannot connect to the Debian server

Hi

I have been attempting to update some of the programs and libraries on my system using apt-get, but I have been running into some difficulties. When I type "apt-get update" in a shell, the output is:

Code:
    Ign ftp.ca.debian.org lenny Release.gpg
    Ign ftp.ca.debian.org lenny/main Translation-en_CA
    Ign ftp.ca.debian.org lenny/non-free Translation-en_CA
    Ign ftp.ca.debian.org lenny Release
    Ign ftp.ca.debian.org lenny/main Packages
    Ign ftp.ca.debian.org lenny/non-free Packages
    Ign ftp.ca.debian.org lenny/main Packages
    Ign ftp.ca.debian.org lenny/non-free Packages
    Err ftp.ca.debian.org lenny/main Packages
      404 Not Found [IP: 24.215.0.24 80]
    Err ftp.ca.debian.org lenny/non-free Packages
      404 Not Found [IP: 24.215.0.24 80]
    W: Failed to fetch ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/main/binary-amd64/Packages  404 Not Found [IP: 24.215.0.24 80]

W: Failed to fetch ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/non-free/binary-amd64/Packages  404 Not Found [IP: 24.215.0.24 80]

I can access the server using Firefox, so the server appears to be online. I have been trying to figure out the problem for a few days, but I have not made any progress so far. This is the first time I have had any issue with apt-get.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Disinterred

P.S.

I removed the "http" from the server address in the output above b/c linuxforums will not let me post "http" links.

I am not using the latest Debian distribution. If I type "uname -a" in a shell, the output is:

Code:
    Linux debian 2.6.26-2-amd64 #1 SMP Thu Nov 25 04:30:55 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Linux Engineer
    Hello,

The first think I would check is the internet connection. Are you able to ping google.com ? Did you recently install / setup a firewall?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    Hello,

The first think I would check is the internet connection. Are you able to ping google.com ? Did you recently install / setup a firewall?
    Thank you for your reply mizzle. Yes, my internet connection is working correctly. It appears I may have solved the problem. I believe my sources.list file was incorrect. I started a new one with the following lines:

deb archive.debian.org/debian lenny main
    deb-src archive.debian.org/debian lenny main

(the "http" has been removed b/c linuxforums does not allow me to post links)

and now everything seems to work okay.

Just Joined!
    I did not realize that lenny is no longer supported.

The sources.list file should thus have:

deb ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main
    deb-src ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main

If you want to update from your lenny distribution. Or if you still want the lenny packages, then you must use:

deb archive.debian.org/debian lenny main
    deb-src archive.debian.org/debian lenny main

Since Lenny is no longer supported, it is advisable to up-grade to Squeeze if you want a stable system or Wheezy if you want a testing version, unless you have a specific reason for wanting to keep an obsolete system.