Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I noticed that RKHunter runs after every install... How is this accomplished? Dave...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Running something after Synaptic finishes an install...

Hi,

I noticed that RKHunter runs after every install... How is this accomplished?

Dave

Just Joined!
    Hi Dave,
    I would suggest you let everyone know what version/distribution you are running and the version.

That way people will be able to see if it does the same on there systems to narrow down what it running it.

Linux Newbie

Synaptic running RKHunter after every install...

Quote Originally Posted by toddles13 View Post
    Hi Dave,
    I would suggest you let everyone know what version/distribution you are running and the version.

That way people will be able to see if it does the same on there systems to narrow down what it running it.
    Sorry... I am running Debian, latest version, and everything is current...

Every time I install anything Synaptic runs RKHunter, this is fine, and I want it to continue doing so. However I want to see how it is doing it, can someone point me at something that covers how this is done? I have looked at the Man pages for Synaptic and don't see anything indicating it can even be done...

Dave

Linux Newbie
    It'll be a cronjob, ie, it's set to run automatically, probably once a day. Check /etc/cron.daily/ there should be a directory called rkhunter. Delete this directory and it won't run automatically, but can still be run manually.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtdriver View Post
    It'll be a cronjob, ie, it's set to run automatically, probably once a day. Check /etc/cron.daily/ there should be a directory called rkhunter. Delete this directory and it won't run automatically, but can still be run manually.
    Hi and thanks,
    I want it to run as is, I want to add another job, had not thought of using Cron, but this is not triggered off of a cronjob... It runs as I finish an install, any install, any number of installs in the window showing what is happening with Synaptic. It it were a cronjob, as you said, it would run at set times. This happens after every install, I am assuming it is somehow triggered by the act of installing...

Linux Newbie
    I didn't catch that part, but it makes sense. Does it ask if you want to run it?

Just Joined!
    I don't run debian, but would suggest you have a look to see if it has an entry in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ somewhere.

Linux Newbie
    YES!!! That is where they launch things etc... THANK YOU!!! How do I close the topic?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Oregon View Post
    YES!!! That is where they launch things etc... THANK YOU!!! How do I close the topic?
    You should be able to do that in the thread tools near the top of this page.