Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm new to this forum and sorry if this one was answered before, i didn't find anything related to this. I've just installed Debian and I can't get GUI ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    adn
    Just Joined!

How to change from idepci to vanilla kernel

Hi, I'm new to this forum and sorry if this one was answered before, i didn't find anything related to this.

I've just installed Debian and I can't get GUI started. The problem, I think, is that I'm using idepci kernel and I need the Vanilla flavor. Is there anyway to change/update the kernel without having to reinstall Debian?

(I have a built in video card )

Just Joined!
    I'm not sure how you would specify a different kernel. I used the bf2.4 and simply downloaded a newer kernel but I didn't have to specify which one. Correct me if i'm wrong but I assume that any debian install can use one of the newer 2.6.# kernels if they choose.

I used this HowTo and it works great! I upgraded from the 2.4 kernel which was installed by default to 2.6.6. There is also some other helpful info like showing you how to install nvidia drivers. I was amazed at how easy it was. I went with 2.6.6 becuase k3b (I use it a lot!) wouldn't work for me under the 2.6.7 and 2.6.8 kernels. I haven't tried 2.6.9 yet.

http://www.desktop-linux.net/debkernel.htm

bd