Find the answer to your Linux question:
"The Guy dressed in Black" mentioned a similar problem, saying that his 'display' was not found. I think he probably meant Screen, because I'm having exactly the same problems. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Screen not configured :S

"The Guy dressed in Black" mentioned a similar problem, saying that his 'display' was not found. I think he probably meant Screen, because I'm having exactly the same problems. I used RedHat 7.3 before and that worked ok, but it was a little useless. I'm just appealing for help on exactly how to edit the XF86Config. I'll post the error messages later, i'm at college at the moment, just wondering if anyone else had the same problem. I've got an old nVidia GeForce 2MX with 64MB of SDR, and i'm relatively new to Linux. The error message is that the screen is 'found but not configured', and i'll post the other stuff later when i'm at home.

Cheers

Its normally when it can not find a usable screen, this normally means that you have the wrong horizontal/vertical refresh rate. You need to find the right ones for your monitor (check the docs). Then open your /etc/X11/XF86config* and change them to the right values.

Just Joined!
    Thanks very much, I'll try that. I'll just attach a log now, and my XF86Config* and reboot back into Debian. I'll be back in about 20 minutes. Here's my XF86Config and startx log here

Just Joined!

Still not working :(

I've tried all the refresh and H-Sync rates, including the really low ones, but I'm really not getting anywhere. Can anyone help? Please?

Linux Engineer
    Could be a few things... I dont have access to you *.zip...
    can you please, in (code), post your XF86Config file

Thanks
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!

Sorted!

Thanks very much for the help. I've just discovered that the file /etc/X11/XF86Config doesn't affect XFree86 version 4 on my version of Debian. The file must be called XF86Config-4 .