Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im new to Linux and I have installed Debian Stable (debian-6.0.4-i386-netinst.iso) in Virtual Box. When booting for the first time I get the command box where Im asked for username ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Reboot after installation of Debian in Virtual Box

Im new to Linux and I have installed Debian Stable (debian-6.0.4-i386-netinst.iso) in Virtual Box.
    When booting for the first time I get the command box where Im asked for username og password. Password og username are accepted and the process continues but at the end it asks for some kind of command and I dont know what to write here.
    It looks something like this: morten"at"debian:~"dollar-sign".
    I hope someone can help me.

Is it a black screen?
    morten@debian:~$ means you have booted into the command line interface.
    If you have installed Xorg, then enter
    Code:
    startx
    However, my guess is you have not installed Xorg. You will need to install it if you want a graphical interface.

Just Joined!
    Yes it is a black screen (with text).
    I entered "startx" and Debian seemed to start up. But all I got was a totaly black screen. When I right clicked the black screen a small window "Main Menu" opened.
    What can be wrong?

What is Main Menu? What options does it have?
    If clicking the mouse opens a menu, then you have a minimalist graphical interface. I do not know which one, because Openbox and TWM are the only two I am familiar with that do not have a panel, but TWM has a green screen. There are others, but most do not have a black screen.
    Try installing a desktop environment that may be more familiar to you, like XFCE or LXDE.
    Open a root terminal and enter
    Code:
    apt-get install xfce
    to install the XFCE environment, or
    Code:
    apt-get install lxde
    to install the LXDE environment.
    hopefully that will give you an interface more to your liking.

Of course, if you could provide more information about whatever it is you currently have, someone might be able to provide tips on how to use it. Myself, I prefer the minimalist interfaces.

Linux Newbie
    I don't know much about Debian, but it looks as if what you installed is just an installer, it should download other programs from the internet. This might help.

One thing you can do is:
    Code:
    sudo tasksel
    That will show a curses menu, in which you will have to make sure that Debian desktop environment is enabled (has a * before it, space bar will toggle it) and hit the ok button.
    You probably missed that on installation, which is understandable.

If the tasksel command can not be found:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install tasksel
    Enabling the desktop environment should load the GUI on boot, instead of dropping you into a terminal.
    Full time computer science student, spare time OS developer.
    @bemk92 on twitter.

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot Bemk. Debian is now running in GUI. Thanks to all who tried to help me solve the problem.

You're welcome.
    Here's what I think is going on.

The net install only installs the base system if no other options are selected at installer time. So the next time, to prevent this from happening, remember to tick the desktop environment (or something like that) when installing in something that looks like tasksel.
    Full time computer science student, spare time OS developer.
    @bemk92 on twitter.

Just Joined!
    Im almost sure I ticked three different options during installation and "laptop" too. But anyway the system is running and Im happy . Thanks again.