Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Recently (yesterday) after an update, fglrx-driver was apparently uninstalled (yes, i know i should have checked before confirming). On trying to reinstall, it, of course, complains about unmet dependencies ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[unstable] Fix desktop environment?

Hello

Recently (yesterday) after an update, fglrx-driver was apparently uninstalled (yes, i know i should have checked before confirming). On trying to reinstall, it, of course, complains about unmet dependencies

I fiddled around a bit, (with smxi) and now i'm fairly sure i've managed to uninstall, or at least mess up, xorg and/or gnome

I can boot into tty, but thats about it, ctrl+alt+f7 just gives me a black screen with a cursor

Debian unstable
    Sapphire HD Radeon 6570

Help?

Any help much appreciated

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by lordaro View Post
    Hello

Recently (yesterday) after an update, fglrx-driver was apparently uninstalled (yes, i know i should have checked before confirming). On trying to reinstall, it, of course, complains about unmet dependencies

I fiddled around a bit, (with smxi) and now i'm fairly sure i've managed to uninstall, or at least mess up, xorg and/or gnome

I can boot into tty, but thats about it, ctrl+alt+f7 just gives me a black screen with a cursor

Debian unstable
    Sapphire HD Radeon 6570

Help?

Any help much appreciated
    If you used smxi to install and configure things, you will hopefully be able to use smxi (with the X server graphics support) to install a video driver that is suitable for your system. About a week or so ago, Debian Sid was going through a transition, moving to new X.org versions; that transition may have "caught you". Try running smxi again from the console, and see if a simple dist-upgrade reinstalls the X server. If it does not, try choosing the desktop-environment option from the install-packages section; that may help you to resolve the issue.

You can also visit smxi.org and describe the issue you have encountered, and you may get additional assistance from h2, the author of smxi, or use the Tech Patterns forum where he discusses smxi as well.
    Brian Masinick
    masinick AT yahoo DOT com

Heya Brian. Whats up Bud. I just tried a experiment just now. I took my 16 gig SD Flash card that I have a conventional AntiX 12rc3 test iso on. I made this card on my Acer Aspire One dual core 15" screen with a ati chip for video. I have a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file because I installed the ati driver via smxi after installing new kernels like 3.3.3 like Anti provided on the forum. My graphics worked good on the Acer with good screen resolution.

antiX-forum - View topic - antixcc, sgfxi,ati,antix, black screen, (SOLVED)

Now. I took that card out of my Acer Laptop. Slapped it into my EEEPC 701SD which uses

Code:
    ~$ inxi -G
    Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller 
               X.Org: 1.11.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 800x480@60.0hz 
               GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 915GM x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 7.11.2
    So. I boot the card and get to init3 shell and login and tried startx on this 701SD netbook.
    Got errors and no desktop. Reason being. My /etc/X11/xorg.conf was set up for the Acer which uses the ati instead of intell video chip.

So to get to slim login splash screen to login. Something I could not do earlier. I booted back into init3. Opened mc (midnight commander) which does not need X. Renamed /etc/X11/xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.confbk (bk stands for backup for me).
    I closed mc. Suxed to root in init3. did

Code:
    shutdown -r now
    Rebooted and got me a 7' slim login window and after logging in got my
    Code:
    arry@biker:~$ xrandr
    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 800 x 480, maximum 4096 x 4096
    LVDS1 connected 800x480+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
       800x480        60.0*+
       640x480        59.9  
    VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    TV1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    Icewm Desktop.

Attachment 4258

Changed wlan0 to wlan1 in wicd. Adjusted and tweaked ~/.conkyrc file.

Anyhows. That is how I got me to a working desktop to post this. I did this experiment for another new antiX member called linuxhippy who is trying to get a external SD flash card going on his EEEPC 701 4gig only SSD drive netbook. I will be posting this in his thread next at linux questions.
    installing netbook linux to large SD cards

Happy Trails Brian, Rok
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie
    Sounds like a pretty handy way to work around the issue, Roky. Most of the time, I do not even have to tweak with the xorg.conf file; the default scans seem to automatically pick up exactly what I need, which is a vast improvement over the early days of X, where you often had to configure just about everything yourself (that was back in the mid nineties.

The tools that Harold Hope put together in smxi, particularly sgfxi, can often be helpful in either installing or configuring graphics drivers. While they may not cover every possible scenario, they often prove helpful, and in the MEPIS Lovers Forum, for example, the use of these tools is frequently recommended when someone runs into video graphics issues. If smxi and sgfxi can't handle the situation, it's usually because a particular driver is either missing or lacking in some fundamental feature, and that's an entirely different issue altogether.
    Brian Masinick
    masinick AT yahoo DOT com

Sorry to high jack your thread lordaro.

I'll try to make up for that by posting

View topic - XORG to be REMOVED :: aptosid.com :: aptosid - Debian hot and spicy!
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home