Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have LibreOffice which came with my Debian 6.04 installation. When I use this I receive a message that there is an update available and from my limited knowledge believe ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

LibreOffice installation.

I have LibreOffice which came with my Debian 6.04 installation.

When I use this I receive a message that there is an update available and from my limited knowledge believe that the existing program must be uninstalled before the update is installed. This may or may not be correct.

When I try to uninstall the program using the software manager I can't find any single item labelled LibreOffice, but there are many others, mostly variations of 'Brand modules' for LibreOffice.

Not willing to take a chance on uninstalling the wrong item, I tried the terminal command - sudo apt-get remove LibreOffice (I am a REAL expert ) and received the message - 'Unable to locate package LibreOffice'.

Can anyone tell me in 3 words or less if I have done something obviously incorrect and how I SHOULD go about installing the update.

Many Thanks.

Linux Guru
    One of the options you should see from your Menu among the various Libre Office options should be LibreOffice Manager. This gives you the option to install, reinstall and upgrade. If you are just getting a message to update it may just be a minor revision. If it Upgrade, it probably will be a new version. Do you just get a pop-up indicating there is an update, exactly what do you get?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    One of the options you should see from your Menu among the various Libre Office options should be LibreOffice Manager. This gives you the option to install, reinstall and upgrade. If you are just getting a message to update it may just be a minor revision. If it Upgrade, it probably will be a new version. Do you just get a pop-up indicating there is an update, exactly what do you get?
    Thank you for the reply.

I received a pop-up indicating there was an update available and when I clicked on the icon I was directed to another site with a 'Download' button for the update. When I clicked on this I ended up at the update site and downloaded the tar file.

Should I just run this as if I were doing a new installation?

I tend to get into real trouble when I do things incorrectly and I sure would like to keep my Linux system working properly because I have absolutely no intention of going back to Windows.

Cheers.

I think Debian stable is using OpenOffice rather than LibreOffice. You should not need to update the application separately ... just do the normal aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade.

Ed: use the package manager and don't download and install stuff direct from the net

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the info.

I have installed OpenOffice and will not use LibreOffice again, which wil solve the problem.

Cheers.