Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Ok, i installed Debian 6.0.4 and rid myself of the malicious software that is windows. only problem is I can not get online with my laptop. I think i need ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ultranoob needs help

Ok, i installed Debian 6.0.4 and rid myself of the malicious software that is windows. only problem is I can not get online with my laptop. I think i need the drivers for my wireless card (i have a wireless router at home), but don't know where to get them, or how to find out what card I have. Thanks for any help

Linux Newbie
    What kind of wireless card do you have? Can you get connected wired to the router? If so you will need to install the wireless card driver. Often you just need to install this from the package manager.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Milburnt View Post
    [...]I [...] don't know [...] how to find out what card I have.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktech11 View Post
    What kind of wireless card do you have?
    Milburnt: Is this a desktop or laptop machine? In the former it's fairly easy to just open the case and look at the card. If it's a product of a major manufacturer of either type its specifications should be available by searching the product (e.g., "Thinkpad A21 Wireless").

The Debian wiki also has a good entry about dealing with wireless devices which includes links to a portion about discovering what your device is.

Post back if you have troubles after checking those out.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    If it is a laptop there should be an access panel on the bottom. It should tell you. It will either be a Broadcom or Atheros most likely. My experience is that more often than not it is a Broadcom chip. Check out this link if you want to give the broadcom driver a try wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx

Just Joined!
    It is a laptop. I do not know what kind of card is in it. I got the laptop as a gift at xmas. it is a HP A8. I can go online with it wired to the router. The comment about installing it from the product manager is no help because I have no idea what that means. The extent of the experiance with Linux that I have is yesterday downloading the iso of Debian, burning it to DVD, and installing it. I will check the Debian wiki and let you know if i have any progress. Any help is welcome.

Just Joined!
    also I saw where one of the above links said you can use Ispci to find out, but I don't know how to use Ispci or how to find it.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Milburnt View Post
    It is a laptop. I do not know what kind of card is in it. I got the laptop as a gift at xmas. it is a HP A8. I can go online with it wired to the router. The comment about installing it from the product manager is no help because I have no idea what that means. The extent of the experiance with Linux that I have is yesterday downloading the iso of Debian, burning it to DVD, and installing it. I will check the Debian wiki and let you know if i have any progress. Any help is welcome.
    Sorry about not giving you enough detail. The package manager is where you go to install programs. You can use it from the command prompt or the GUI. In the GUI, I believe it is called Synaptic. You can search in there for broadcom. Either that or you can bring up the terminal and type:
    sudo apt-cache search packagename

in your case try:
    sudo apt-cache search bcm
    also make sure you have the wireless tools installed
    sudo apt-get install wireless-tools

Last 2 things:
    If it is an HP most likely it is a broadcom
    I might suggest going with Ubuntu or Mint (both are Debian based) for a newly converted Linux user. Both are a bit easier.

Linux Guru
    also I saw where one of the above links said you can use Ispci to find out, but I don't know how to use Ispci or how to find it.
    You need to open a terminal. If you have an Applications tab in the upper left of the Desktop, click on it and in the various options, look for terminal. Maybe under System Tools. I don't use Debian but you should have a menu somewhere if you don't have an Applications tab. When you open the terminal, just type in lspci and you should get some output including wireless info.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ktech11 View Post
    Sorry about not giving you enough detail. The package manager is where you go to install programs. You can use it from the command prompt or the GUI. In the GUI, I believe it is called Synaptic. You can search in there for broadcom. Either that or you can bring up the terminal and type:
    sudo apt-cache search packagename

in your case try:
    sudo apt-cache search bcm
    also make sure you have the wireless tools installed
    sudo apt-get install wireless-tools

Last 2 things:
    If it is an HP most likely it is a broadcom
    I might suggest going with Ubuntu or Mint (both are Debian based) for a newly converted Linux user. Both are a bit easier.
    I opened synaptic, and when I ran the search for broadcom or atheros nothing came up. when I tried the sudo apt-cache search bcm all that came up was sudo

Hi there.

Take a look through this thread. There are two posts in it.
    The first post gives instructions on running several commands to gather some useful information.
    If you have no network connection on this computer, look to post #2. It includes a script that you can download, and instructions on how to run it, to gather the same information.
    Post back here with the complete results.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast