Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How long is 6.0 Squeesze going to be supported?

I am unhappy with the new ubuntu, so am looking for a new distro with long term support. I have been trying to find the info on how long Squeeze will be supported, but can't seem to find it. Am I just not understaning the Debian progress of the stable releases? Thanks for clearing up my confusion.
    Registered Linux user #526930

So far, there has been no official date set for Squeeze EOL, so I would imagine that it will be supported for quite some time.
    Looking at past versions, it seems that past versions are supported for about a year after the newest version is released.
    The Debian team is aiming for a release date sometime in June of this year, so you could expect support until around June of next year.

Debian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Run testing repos in /etc/apt/sources.list and you'll never need to reinstall Debian again. Same if you run the unstable repos instead of testing. I have been running Testing since Lenny was out and am now on Wheezy on the same install.

To install Debian testing, we recommend you use the wheezy Alpha1 release of the installer, after checking its errata. The following images are available for wheezy Alpha1:
    Debian -- Debian-Installer

Useful bookmark for a new Debian user is

Debian -- Debian Documentation Project

Or go with AntiX, Semplice,, LMDE, PureOS,Sidux,or AptoSid,

For Debian stable KDE distros. I like these Live DVDs.
    DistroWatch.com: KANOTIX
    DistroWatch.com: MEPIS Linux

Also I am thinking of trying out
    DistroWatch.com: wattOS

I also follow this blog to see what is new
    Exton's International Blog | Announcements re. my International Linux remasters

because like you. After my Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Desktop reaches end of Life. I will be looking for another option to run on it. I usually run AntiX and am quite happy with it. I have installed Trinity Desktop and Mate Desktop on a couple of my AntiX laptops to experiment a bit.

1 year though can be a eternity in Linux releases though so I am keeping my options open for now.

Am I just not understaning the Debian progress of the stable releases
    Debian is not on a end of life and release schedule like Fedora, Ubuntu, and other Linux distros are. They release the new stable when they think it is ready and then say when end of life will kick in for old stable. Hope that clears things up for you bro.
    I refuse to let fear and fear of others rule my life. It puts my humanity at risk.
    Accepting Death is the only way to stay alive.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Sounds like testing is the way to go, as long as they don't push updates which change the look and feel to something you hate.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    You could also try out Mint Debian Edition which is based on testing but with some of the risk* removed by using their community tested latest repositories. They also have incoming which is I believe a direct mirror of testing and you could always point it at the Debian repo of your choice.

* Or should that be fun?
    Should you be sitting wondering,
    Which Batman is the best,
    There's only one true answer my friend,
    It's Adam Bloody West!

The Fifth Continent

Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

I think your choice will depend on how you view support, and whether you are willing to weather occasional breakage.

For example, when squeeze was testing, I did an update and the resulting system was misconfigured. It took about 4 months before that got fixed: Debian User Forums • View topic - squeeze d-u: kernel configuration skipped

I usually keep stable as my main working system, and keep testing and unstable ( sid ) in virtual machines to track their progress. Currently I am also evaluating Debian GNU/kFreeBSD because that supports the zfs filesystem.

In another situation, I was evaluating software RAID10 on a 4-disk server, and an update rendered the system unbootable. I think that was also testing, because the only updates to stable are supposed to be for security fixes and really serious flaws. That was not in a VM and I did not spend the effort to re-create that system.

All that being said, there are people at Debian User Forums • Index page that say they run testing -- and even sid -- and never had trouble. However, I think they are willing and able to fix their systems. I am willing to track testing and unstable because snapshots are so easy to do and restore in a VM. I am not so sure I would be willing to invest the time to fix them without that facility.

You may be able to get more information from Debian-News

In any case, backups of one's important files are always necessary.

Good luck ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    Sounds like testing is the way to go, as long as they don't push updates which change the look and feel to something you hate.
    You can do updates from stable as well ... point to latest stable release and an aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade will give you the latest stable version. Personally I prefer to point to release versions and update things under my control ... but you could just point at stable and have a semi-rolling release with minimal user input

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    So far, there has been no official date set for Squeeze EOL, so I would imagine that it will be supported for quite some time.
    Looking at past versions, it seems that past versions are supported for about a year after the newest version is released.
    The Debian team is aiming for a release date sometime in June of this year, so you could expect support until around June of next year.

Debian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I have been informed from a reliable source
    that it's the freeze which is scheduled for June (but not set in stone), not the stable release - which will occur when it's ready.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-an ... 00004.html
    So, if Wheezy is frozen in June, it would be released later this year.

Right... freeze scheduled for June. I read that wrong.
    No matter how you slice it, though, Debian has a history of not releasing until they deem it ready.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Well, I encountered a problem. How do you download Debian Squeeze? In all the distro's I have tried before, there was an ISO image to download. Debian Squeeze took me to a folder with a lot of subfolders, and I have no clue what to do next. I thought I had it sorted out, and downloaded a amd64 and xfce amd64, but neither one will burn under brasero or xfburn. I did get one error message on one attempt, that said all dependencies were not met. Did I download the wrong file or something?