Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello all, I just installed Debian squeeze using all the default settings (GUI, etc) and at first I was not able to view any flash videos on the web. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    srj

Debian flash issue

Hello all,

I just installed Debian squeeze using all the default settings (GUI, etc) and at first I was not able to view any flash videos on the web.

I installed the 'flashplugin-nonfree' package and all videos can be viewed but my browser quits without any warnings anytime I do this.

Iceweasel does this everytime and the default Epiphany browser too, but not that often.

Can you please tell me if anyone had the same issue or how to fix this?

Thank you,

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I haven't had the issue but you may get some clues by running iceweasel from the terminal
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Might not hurt to do a

Code:
    $ locate libflashplayer.so
    /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so
    also after running elijas suggestion. I don't have that issue either in Iceweasel or Iceape in AntiX .
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

srj
    Thank you all for the suggestions.

I'll try them tomorrow and reply back with any updates.

Linux Engineer
    Hello. If you don't mind Google chrome, you may want to check this out: Debian Squeeze: Installing Google Chrome
    Flash is up and running perfectly out of the box with Chrome on a standard Debian 6 w/GUI install.

srj
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    I haven't had the issue but you may get some clues by running iceweasel from the terminal
    I ran iceweasel in the terminal and I receive the below message when the application starts:

Code:
    elmi@debian:~$ iceweasel
    (firefox-bin:2122): Bonobo-WARNING **: Bonobo must be initialized before use
    And when the window disappears I get this:

Code:
    firefox-bin: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
    Segmentation fault
    Epiphany browser is freezing right now without exiting. While it's still working I get some errors like below but I don't think they're related:

Code:
    (epiphany-browser:2237): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_hide: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(epiphany-browser:2237): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_destroy: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
    ** Message: console message: https://s.ytimg.com/yt/jsbin/www-core-vflmeNEUz.js @1: Error: Unknown error

(epiphany-browser:2237): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_hide: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(epiphany-browser:2237): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_destroy: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
    ** Message: console message:  @1: Unsafe JavaScript attempt to access frame with URL Watch Bleach Episodes English Subbed & Dubbed Movies Online from frame with URL http://www2.game-advertising-online....=serve&id=1436. Domains, protocols and ports must match.
    =============================

Might not hurt to do a

Code:

$ locate libflashplayer.so
    /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so

also after running elijas suggestion. I don't have that issue either in Iceweasel or Iceape in AntiX .
    I got the same result as above using the locate command

===============

And I tried using Chromium with the same results.

Thank you all for all the suggestions, I really don't know what's wrong with my system right now.

srj
    I just tried using Firefox and the application itself si not breaking or quiting but the flash plugin seems to crash:

'The Adobe Flash Plugin has crashed / Send crash report'

And in the terminal:

Code:
    plugin-container: ../../src/xcb_io.c:183: process_responses: Assertion `!(req && current_request && !(((long) (req->sequence) - (long) (current_request)) <= 0))' failed.
    Last edited by srj; 05-27-2012 at 09:52 AM.

I forget if I installed flashplugin-nonfree with apt-get or Synaptic, but it works fine on most web-sites and does not cause any problems with browsers.
    Perhaps you are missing a dependency or two? Do you have all of these dependencies? (This is the list for 386. I do not know if there are differences with 64 bit.)
    Code:
    Depends: debconf | debconf-2.0, wget, gnupg, libatk1.0-0, libcairo2, libfontconfig1, libfreetype6, libgcc1, libglib2.0-0, libgtk2.0-0, libnspr4-0d, libnss3-1d, libpango1.0-0, libstdc++6, libx11-6, libxext6, libxt6, libcurl3-gnutls
    Suggests: iceweasel, konqueror-nsplugins, x-ttcidfont-conf, msttcorefonts, ttf-dejavu, ttf-xfree86-nonfree, flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound

srj
    Quote Originally Posted by Randicus View Post
    I forget if I installed flashplugin-nonfree with apt-get or Synaptic, but it works fine on most web-sites and does not cause any problems with browsers.
    Perhaps you are missing a dependency or two? Do you have all of these dependencies? (This is the list for 386. I do not know if there are differences with 64 bit.)
    Code:
    Depends: debconf | debconf-2.0, wget, gnupg, libatk1.0-0, libcairo2, libfontconfig1, libfreetype6, libgcc1, libglib2.0-0, libgtk2.0-0, libnspr4-0d, libnss3-1d, libpango1.0-0, libstdc++6, libx11-6, libxext6, libxt6, libcurl3-gnutls
    Suggests: iceweasel, konqueror-nsplugins, x-ttcidfont-conf, msttcorefonts, ttf-dejavu, ttf-xfree86-nonfree, flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound
    Hello,

From the above I am only missing:

Code:
    debconf-2.0, konqueror-nsplugins, msttcorefonts, ttf-xfree86-nonfree, flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound
    Should I get those installed as well?

Thank you.

konqueror plug-ins would only be useful if you are using KDE. I only installed depends, no suggests. Yours should work, unless you have done some tinkering with the system?
    Perhaps remove and purge flash and see what happens. If there are no problems, re-install it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast