Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to install the (compulsorily) only required packages and kernel portions that is required for my embedded system. I'm considering Debian as suitable choice. I'd like know how to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation How do modify the Debian base

I want to install the (compulsorily) only required packages and kernel portions that is required for my embedded system. I'm considering Debian as suitable choice. I'd like know how to modify the kernel and other packages required for operation of minimal system. It is a robot and I want to use OpenCV library for image processing. I hav heard abour very small linux distros like puppy and dsl etc. how do they do it. how do they reduce the size of kernel and packages. I read LinuxFromScratch. I found some info but it is still incomplete, my idea. No GUI required and no need of network support(for now atleast).

I wouldn't use Debian for a project like that. Use Slackware. That way you only need to install essential dependencies for a program - i.e. the ones it can't run without. Debian, like many distros, automatically installs everything a program might need, even for branches of it that you are never going to invoke.

As to distros like Puppy, they use all kinds of tricks to squeeze a quart into a pint pot. For example they use busybox instead of coreutils, and often a small X-server like Xvesa rather than xorg. They're physically small, but they aren't minimalistic.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Just Joined!

Exclamation Patching

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    I wouldn't use Debian for a project like that. Use Slackware. That way you only need to install essential dependencies for a program - i.e. the ones it can't run without. Debian, like many distros, automatically installs everything a program might need, even for branches of it that you are never going to invoke.

As to distros like Puppy, they use all kinds of tricks to squeeze a quart into a pint pot. For example they use busybox instead of coreutils, and often a small X-server like Xvesa rather than xorg. They're physically small, but they aren't minimalistic.
    I saw a distro called TinyCore linux. How can they reduce the kernel to this much. I mean in terms of few MB's(10 MB ). IIRC their site somewhere mentioned that they use patches to linux kernel. How do they do it???

and as of prevQ. I'm going to run linux on non graphical mode. What I actually need to know is how to modify the kernel to suit my needs(for specific set of hardware components like non graphical display devices, assuming x86 is the arch). what are the books I got read to have understanding of Linux and if possible sort them(which one I got to read first and second and so on).

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You can shrink the kernel quite a bit by only including the drivers you actually need. Check what hardware you have and build only those modules. Compile in (i.e. not as modules) the motherboard controller for your hard drives, the disk driver itself (most people use PATA/SATA these days) and the filesystem driver. That way you won't have to go through all the business with initrd.

My compressed kernel is 1.6MB with 2.7MB of uncompressed modules.

When you build a kernel, use the kernel help facility exhaustively. It not only shows what each feature does but gives you good advice about whether or not you need that feature or not.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com