Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello just found this forum and was wondering if I could bother you guys for some help, I installed Debian last night on a hard drive that I had in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

File Not Found Grub Boot error

Hello just found this forum and was wondering if I could bother you guys for some help,

I installed Debian last night on a hard drive that I had in an older machine running Windows XP as the primary OS (XP is on a seperate HD in the same machine). I installed it, got it working but the grub boot didn't give me the option of booting into Windows XP. I checked to be sure the hard drive wasn't damaged (I found all the files on the hard drive still intact) so then I added it to the grub boot via root command line. It successfully found windows XP so then I updated the grub. When I restarted though it gave me a file not found error.

I'm guessing I need to re adjust my boot priorities but I'm not sure how to do this, can someone give me some help. I only have access to the grub boot command line and I would like to keep both operating systems installed on their respective seperate hard drives and maintain all of my XP files (debian has no important files seeing as it was just installed).

Linux Guru
    Was the xp hard drive attached when you installed Debian?
    You got Debian working, does that mean you can boot the Debian install? You say you got it working but later say you "only have access to the grub boot command"?
    What specific command(s) did you use to add xp to grub?
    Did you get the "file not found" error when you attempted to boot xp?
    If you can boot Debian or have the Debian Live CD, boot either and go to the site below, read the instructions in the Description box, download and run the bootinfoscript and post it here. It will give a lot of useful information on your boot files and partitions which should help someone help you:

Boot Info Script | Free System Administration software downloads at SourceForge.net

Just Joined!
    I had debian working, then I attempted to add the boot option to the grub to allow me to boot into xp, i ran the following commands in the root command line of Debian:

sudo mount /dev/sda6 /mnt

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda

sudo update-grub

after the second one it said that it found windows xp and then I updated grub. It recommended I reboot to choose another OS to boot into and it took me to grub giving me the file not found error.

additional info:

Both of the HDs were in the computer when I installed Debian.
    I was never given the option to boot into xp, it automatically threw the file not found error after I ran the commands in Debi
    I don't think I can boot into any OS currently.

Is there anyway I can just disable grub and boot back into XP for the time being?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Download the bootinfoscript and run it. You indicated in your initial post you had xp on one hard drive and installed Debian to the second hard drive. The commands you indicate you ran to install grub are to install Grub to the master boot record of the first drive (sda) which in all likelihood would have been the drive on which you had xp. Did you do this from the Debian CD? I'm not sure why you reinstalled Grub as you indicate at this point you were able to boot Debian so there would have been no need.

Is there anyway I can just disable grub and boot back into XP for the time being?
    You probably need a full xp installation CD with a repair option. I've never used xp but that's my recollection from reading other posts with users having similar problems. You might try googling "repair xp bootloader" or something similar. Simplest thing in my view would be to run the bootinfoscript from the Debian Live CD (or any Linux Live CD).