Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shellscriptcoder
Hi all. I'm posting this after 3 days of research / googling lasting several hours. Problem : I upgraded to Squeeze from Lenny. But now the DSL internet is not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DSL internet connection not working in Squeeze

Hi all. I'm posting this after 3 days of research / googling lasting several hours.

Problem : I upgraded to Squeeze from Lenny. But now the DSL internet is not detected.

What I've done so far :

1) /etc/network/interfaces is below :

auto lo
    allow-hotplug eth0
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    broadcast 192.168.1.255
    gateway 192.168.1.1
    dns-nameservers 59.185.0.23 203.94.243.70

2) /etc/resolv.conf is below :

DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN

Yes, yes, I added the nameservers but aftr every reboot they get wiped out from resolv.conf because the resolvconf package overwrites it.

Thats why my /etc/network/interfaces has the line dns-nameservers <dns1> <dns2>

3) /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules does Not get created, no matter how many times I reboot. (See next point for how i tried to fix it).

4 In the file /lib/udev/d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules, as instructed in Debian bug report 652660, I modified line no. 35 as :

ENV{MATCHADDR}=="00:0c:29:*|00:50:56:*|00:05:69:*| 00:1C:14:*", ENV{MATCHADDR}=""

Still, ....rules.d/70persistent-net.rules never gets created after rebooting.

4 /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf contains the line

supersede domain-name-servers 59.185.0.23, 203.94.227.70

5 /etc/hosts is as follows :

127.0.0.1 localhost
    127.0.0.1 debian.debian.net debian

::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::00 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::00 ip6-allhosts

6 /etc/host.conf contains multi on

==========

The following background facts

a) I'm booting via rescuecd each time because Grub error 15 shows up.

b) Upon reboot, the following error messages / fatal errors are shown (forgive for typos as they scroll up very fast) :

modprobe fatal : could not load /lib/mod/2.6.29.06 - std122/modules

buffer i/o error on device sr0, logical block xxxxx

Thank you.

Just Joined!
    Can you ping your DSL modem?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by shellscriptcoder View Post
    Can you ping your DSL modem?
    I can't ping the address given in the /etc/network/interfaces file, which is 192.168.1.1

But strangely if I ping 127.0.0.1 it responds back. The ifconfig command also lists 127.0.0.1 as the ip address.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    The output of ifconfig -a

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:116 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    RX bytes:7296.....TX bytes:7296

Don't know why inet addr is 127.0.0.1 instead of 192.168.0.1 even though /network/interfaces contains the latter for eth0.

Then I decided to leave the ifconfig issue and try solve this problem instead at bootup :

modprobe: Fatal: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.29.06-122-generic/modules.dep: no such file or directory

I tried update-initramfs -c -k 2.29.06

This gives the error : missing /lib/modules/2.29.06
    Device driver support needs thus be built-in linux image!
    FATAL: Could not open....
    FATAL: Could not open....
    :
    :

Then I changed the line MODULES=most to MODULES=dep, in the file /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf and reinstalled initramfs-tools

Still, the modprobe error comes up in boot.

Just Joined!
    127.0.0.1 is your loopback IP address (which is, in a manner of speaking, your IP address). If you couldn't ping THAT, then you'd have a major problem. It looks to me that from the output of ifconfig, you're missing some drivers for ethernet/wlan. This would actually make sense, because I'm noticing that Debian's been pulling some firmware from their kernel recently...
    Would you mind posting the output of
    Code:
    lspci | grep -i net
    ?
    Knowing the specs of your network card could be a huge asset in locating the correct drivers.

Just Joined!
    127.0.0.1 is your loopback IP address (which is, in a manner of speaking, your IP address). If you couldn't ping THAT, then you'd have a major problem. It looks to me that from the output of ifconfig, you're missing some drivers for ethernet/wlan. This would actually make sense, because I'm noticing that Debian's been pulling some firmware from their kernel recently...

Would you mind posting the output of
    Code:
    lspci | grep -i net
    ?
    Sure.

00:0e.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)

OK I guess that means I'll have to download Realtek's driver now.

Just Joined!
    Question 1) Are the 8139C and 8139C+ drivers included in the 8139too module ? Because I can't find the 8139 drivers anywhere.

Question 2) modprobe 8139C and modprobe 8139C+ shows

FATAL : Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.29.06-std122/modules.dep : No such file or directory

Recall that I'm booting from a rescuecd because of a Grub 15 error on bootup. So, do I have to get my Grub loader working first ?

Just Joined!
    That could possibly help. It might be an error with loading modules at boot that could be related to the problem you're having with GRUB. But if you want to know what I'd do in that situation, I'd just back up my important files and reinstall Debian. Since you were able to use the Internet before, it might be a problem that occurred during the upgrade.
    That's the reason I switched to Arch Linux - the same thing happened to me with Ubuntu, but with each and every upgrade. No upgrades at all is a great solution, in my opinion.
    My preferences aside, I'd just back up and reinstall everything - Debian, GRUB, everything.
    kareempharmacist likes this.

Is your connection controlled by Network Manager? Or similar?
    Or did you configure your connection manually?Cuz if you configured manually, and have NM running at boot, that might be the issue.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    jayD512, no I didn't use NetworkManager at all. Before the upgrade, the DSL internet connection was working just fine. Even at that time, I had never used NM.

That could possibly help. It might be an error with loading modules at boot that could be related to the problem you're having with GRUB. But if you want to know what I'd do in that situation, I'd just back up my important files and reinstall Debian. Since you were able to use the Internet before, it might be a problem that occurred during the upgrade.
    OK. I'm trying to create a vmlinuz file of the kernel for GRUB to load from it.

"make menuconfig", "make xconfig" etc. don't work, even though I downloaded and installed their packages from a Windows machine.

So I've decided to use make-kpkg kernel-image instead.

Now I wish to download the source file, so I ran the "uname -a" command to see the kernel's version. This yields :

Linux Debian 2.6.29.06-std122

But, Debian doesn't have the source file of 2.6.29.06. How is this possible ?