Find the answer to your Linux question:
So, supposedly, IPv6 has launched, and ISPs are rolling it out. I understand the basic concept, but I'm not sure how to make it work in practice. I have a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What do I need for IPv6?

So, supposedly, IPv6 has launched, and ISPs are rolling it out. I understand the basic concept, but I'm not sure how to make it work in practice.

I have a Debian server acting as my home router. eth0 gets an IP address from my ISP using DHCP. I use iptables to provide NAT. I also have a DHCP daemon serving up IP addresses to everything on my internal network, and have a DNS service that gives everything internal a name and serves up cached requests for external names. All of this is IPv4.

Assuming my ISP starts giving me IPv6 addresses (I'm not sure how to check for that; ifconfig isn't listing one for eth0), what would be my steps for implementing it? Will I still be using NAT, or will I be generating (somehow) publicly-addressable IPv6 addresses? And how do I distribute those addresses? (Something I read said that bind configuration didn't support giving out a static IPv6 address based on a machine's MAC, which is something I do for many of my internal machines.) And, if they're public addresses, how would I ensure I distribute the correct ones, changing them in the event my ISP changes the address they give me?

What about setting up a gateway so that internal devices that may not be IPv6-ready can still work? (Not sure how many might be affected; possibly my wireless routers, which are on their own subnet; possibly my kids' Nintendo DSes.)

There's a lot I just don't know yet, but it seems like it's high time I learn....

LRC
    I am a noobie at this , but tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+IPv6-HOWTO/ (sorry cannot link it as a noobie) seems to be well written and comprehensive. I do know that your starting point has to be your own machines as even your regular computer must be IPv6 capable in order to gain access to those sites.