Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm a Linux newbie and I'm looking some help with understanding the bootup process. As I understand the the first process run is init and init runs startup scripts. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Bootup/startup scripts question

Hi,

I'm a Linux newbie and I'm looking some help with understanding the bootup process. As I understand the the first process run is init and init runs startup scripts. I read that these scripts are located in the /etc/init.d folder.

My question is if everything in that folder is a startup script?
    Also what would be the best way to find out what those scripts do? Google or somehow view them from the terminal?

Thanks.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by emirp81 View Post
    Hi,

I'm a Linux newbie and I'm looking some help with understanding the bootup process. As I understand the the first process run is init and init runs startup scripts. I read that these scripts are located in the /etc/init.d folder.

My question is if everything in that folder is a startup script?
    Also what would be the best way to find out what those scripts do? Google or somehow view them from the terminal?

Thanks.
    A brief explanation would be that some of the scripts in the init.d directory are start and kill commands based on run level. Linux has multiple run levels depending upon what you want to do. Ones that are used most often are 1, 2, and 5. 1 is rescue mode, so the init.d script for rescue mode will kill certain tasks and start up other and you will end up with just what you need for that mode. 2 is terminal only and 5 is with X loaded (GUI environment)

Check this reference out
    http://www.fedorareloaded.com:8080/T...ora/index.seam
    It will give you a reference for Fedora, but a lot of it will apply to other distros as well.

Just Joined!
    Hi kteck11,

Thank you for the explanation. So to my understanding there's a folder for each runlevel that contains symlinks to startup scripts in the init.d folder and only a portion of the scripts there are actually executed depending on the runlevel correct?

Also, I'd like to know what's the best way to learn what these scripts do. I know man can be used to look up commands and such, is there an equivalent for startup scripts? Is it possible to view the files and tell what they do?

Thank you again.

Linux Newbie
    Yes, you can open each script in VI, nano, or gedit and review what they do. I would suggest review the fedora link I posted to get a good understanding of some of the basics.