Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
If it's LMDE then a clean install should not be needed ... think when it was release it was tracking testing (which was squeeze). To continue to track squeeze just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

If it's LMDE then a clean install should not be needed ... think when it was release it was tracking testing (which was squeeze).
    To continue to track squeeze just update sources to point to squeeze instead of testing then ....apt update && apt dist-upgrade should do it. Doing so will pull in the Mint DE update manager ... after that you can stick with squeeze, switch to testing, incomming etc ... A temporary switch to Squeeze before update & dist-upgrade keeps your options open for future repositories use.

Ed: and sources info is available here

Linux Newbie
    Don't know if it helps/applies to mint, but there's this sources list genereator:

Debian Sources List Generator
    Openbox + tint2 desktop. Debian testing, liquorix kernel

You need a list of Debian repos.

Debian worldwide mirror sites

Best list ever.
    Last edited by jayd512; 06-16-2012 at 01:34 AM. Reason: typo
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    For LMDE it's better to use their own repos. They are Debian Testing but have been tested for stability by the Mint community. This means they are slightly behind the Debian one but there are fewer breakages caused by updates.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    For LMDE it's better to use their own repos. They are Debian Testing but have been tested for stability by the Mint community. This means they are slightly behind the Debian one but there are fewer breakages caused by updates.
    I'm running on squeeze, only thing which broke was firefox, simply uninstalled firefox and installed iceweasel ... problem solved - and for me no gnome3 ... but as I put in my previous post a switch temporarily to squeeze before a dist-upgrade allows stick with stable, switch to testing or mint repositories after ...

I use Mate Desktop so no Gnomes Hell here either and I do prefer the "Latest" repos as the software is more up to date with most of the testing repository risk mitigated. I didn't think the newest LMDE isos could use the stable repositories anyway as they are to far behind now. Which of course won't be a problem for the OP.

Still, I'm probably going to be installing LMDE on another laptop soon so I feel an experiment coming on...
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

The Fifth Continent

For a fresh stable install see here

Ed: I use the linuxmint-debian-201012-gnome-dvd-amd64.iso for doing Mint installs. The alternative 1 link still works for amd64 version and alternative link 2 works for the i386 version
    Last edited by Jonathan183; 06-16-2012 at 10:26 PM.

That's where I read about the newest isos not being compatible with the stable repositories.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

The Fifth Continent

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2