Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I was just wondering if it is possible to use the three jacks of my sound card as inputs (microphones). It is a standard card with input(pink), output(green) and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

sound

Hello,
    I was just wondering if it is possible to use the three jacks of my sound card as inputs (microphones).

It is a standard card with input(pink), output(green) and some blue jack.

I use ALSA.

Linux Newbie
    That's the way a sound card is built.
    It has a Line-In for connecting stuff like CD players, a Line-Out for connecting headphones/amplified speakers and a Mic input for connecting a microphone.

Some cards to be used be professional sound studios and amateur sound production have multiple inputs so they can connect a range of different sound systems.

Most likely for multiple microphones a sound mixer would be used.

Just Joined!
    I use an inexpensive little Behringer mixer plugged into the pink jack enabling me to plug in several microphones and/or instruments, each with a separate EQ. I did have to purchase a special cable, with a 3.5 mm stereo plug on one end and two separate quarter inch mono plugs on the other. Some of their more recent models plug into a USB port. I make live recordings with two stand mounted mics. The software I use is Audacity on a Dell, Dimension 4700 w/2GB of RAM running Xubuntu 12.04 LTS. Works very nicely.