Find the answer to your Linux question:
What is a kernel patch exactly? I have a patch that is suppose to optimize speed and performance of the kernel. Is it the same as recompiling the kernel? As ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    xbn
    Just Joined!

Kernel Patch/Tools

What is a kernel patch exactly? I have a patch that is suppose to optimize speed and performance of the kernel. Is it the same as recompiling the kernel? As a Debian admin, can you list tools needed? I Need the equivalent to an Windows RDP and FTP for linux, can you suggest some?

Trusted Penguin
    If it is truly a kernel patch, then yes, it involves recompiling the kernel. or at least recompiling part of it to rebuild a module.

To recompile a kernel, you need lots of tools, but if you start by using your package manager to install gcc, binutils, and make, that should take care of a lot of it.

You mentioned FTP, though; is this a patch to an application or to the kernel itself?

xbn
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    If it is truly a kernel patch, then yes, it involves recompiling the kernel. or at least recompiling part of it to rebuild a module.

To recompile a kernel, you need lots of tools, but if you start by using your package manager to install gcc, binutils, and make, that should take care of a lot of it.

You mentioned FTP, though; is this a patch to an application or to the kernel itself?
    The patch is all ready all they said to do is apply it to my kernel. On the other side of things for low latency they said I need to optimize the RT(Real Time) Kernel, what is that?

Please answer this:
    Basically if I want to optimize my server it would only be to
    compiling the kernel, nothing else?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by xbn View Post
    The patch is all ready all they said to do is apply it to my kernel. On the other side of things for low latency they said I need to optimize the RT(Real Time) Kernel, what is that?

Please answer this:
    Basically if I want to optimize my server it would only be to
    compiling the kernel, nothing else?
    who are they? i would start by asking these questions of them. you could also read up on the RT kernel here:

https://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php...sked_Questions