Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
my grub.cfg reads (hd0, msdos) An example format is set root='(hd0,msdos2)' , which points the bootloader to the 1st drive "hd0" and the 2nd partition "msdos2"...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

my grub.cfg reads (hd0, msdos)
    An example format is set root='(hd0,msdos2)', which points the bootloader to the 1st drive "hd0" and the 2nd partition "msdos2"

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanderal View Post
    An example format is set root='(hd0,msdos2)', which points the bootloader to the 1st drive "hd0" and the 2nd partition "msdos2"
    I didn't write the "msdos" thing (it gets automatically set when the kernel is built).

But why msdos ? What does it have to do with Linux ? BTW I do not have any other OS except Debian Linux (and 3 unsuccessfully built kernels, all of version 2.6.32.5)

I'll surely try to change this root entry after scouring the internet, as we can't directly edit grub.cfg.

Just Joined!
    But why msdos ? What does it have to do with Linux ?
    Well by default, on the PC platform, Linux uses a msdos partition table on the hard drive, so maybe they are referring to the partition type when they say msdos.

I'll surely try to change this root entry after scouring the internet, as we can't directly edit grub.cfg.
    You can directly edit it. They just tell at you because when you run the automated generation tool it throws out your custom version. So just be sure to back it up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2