Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
I recently installed squeeze from the netinst cd. The computer keeps freezing and I have to hard reboot. The computer is a dell dimension xps_r. The onboard graphics is: VGA ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

new install squeeze - computer keeps freezing

I recently installed squeeze from the netinst cd. The computer keeps freezing and I have to hard reboot. The computer is a dell dimension xps_r. The onboard graphics is: VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller]). I've seen, from searches, that this device has caused this type of problem.

I also found that there is no xorg.conf file in the system.

There have been a number of suggestions of what to do about it. Was wondering if there are any more recent updates, - maybe a driver?

Thanks.

Just Joined!
    since my posts are less than 15 ..I am not able to provide links
    the Intel Linux Graphics Open Source Driver supports your card but intel corporation doesn't support the card anymore so you have to download and compile the uptodate open source driver from
    intellinuxgraphics.org/index.html

Linux Engineer
    Is the computer able to run any other operating systems without problems?

Try booting a live fedora cd or something else. If those freeze under heavy load, you likely have a bad stick of RAM. Also, check /var/log/dmesg for any indicators of hardware problems.

Just Joined!
    somae: the only time that happened to me was when i threw in a 64bit netinst cd in my 32 bit machine on accident.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    Is the computer able to run any other operating systems without problems?
    It runs windows xp with no problems. This graphics card is known to cause these types of problems but others have been able to solve it. I was thinking of trying to compile the driver but intel doesn't give detailed instructions on how to do it.

Have you enabled/installed the restricted extras package? It includes non-free but no cost drivers which may solve your problem. Also try the Dell site, they are pretty linux friendly and may have a solution or driver for you.
    Last edited by MASONTX; 07-02-2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Additional info
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    Have you enabled/installed the restricted extras package? It includes non-free but no cost drivers which may solve your problem. Also try the Dell site, they are pretty linux friendly and may have a solution or driver for you.
    It seems that the restricted extras package is for ubuntu? and isn't possible to use for debian. The most updated repo for debian seems to be backports. The dell site didn't have anything I could find for this computer (dimension 2350).

See if this is what you are looking for: dell.com/results.aspx?s=dhs&c=us&l=en&cs=19&k=dimension+235 0+linux+drivers&cat=sup&x=10&y=7 I didn't see a linux driver either, but may have overlooked it. Looking at the Intel site, it seems that they recommend reinstalling the driver. Your initial install may have been corrupted or not properly installed. You may have to completely reinstall, especially since you say there is no xorg file anywhere. You may have a glitched install.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    See if this is what you are looking for: dell.com/results.aspx?s=dhs&c=us&l=en&cs=19&k=dimension+235 0+linux+drivers&cat=sup&x=10&y=7 I didn't see a linux driver either, but may have overlooked it. Looking at the Intel site, it seems that they recommend reinstalling the driver. Your initial install may have been corrupted or not properly installed. You may have to completely reinstall, especially since you say there is no xorg file anywhere. You may have a glitched install.
    The dell link went to an error page.

These kinds of problems are well known with this type of graphics card. I've actually had to reinstall debian a few times because it got so bad it wouldn't boot at all.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    It may be worth enabling the backports repository and seeing if there is an updated driver in there.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast