Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a 3rd year Networking and IT Forensics student, I have used numerous Disto's both before starting my degree and gained more valuable exposure to Debian as my study's progressed. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Clean Install On Sony Vaio

I'm a 3rd year Networking and IT Forensics student, I have used numerous Disto's both before starting my degree and gained more valuable exposure to Debian as my study's progressed.

I'll be starting a placement as part of my degree and want to do a fresh install of either Debian or LM Debian. I will be using Backtrack as well, but running it from a live DVD is suffice for my intended purposes.

I have never installed Debian or LM Debian on a Laptop, I have a brand new 350Gb HD waiting. The laptop I would be installing on is a Vaio VPCEA3M1E. I have it running with 8Gb Ram at the minute.

I'm basically looking for any input that anyone can offer me. Would I be better considering another Distro? Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks,
    Maccy.

I don't do anything with forensics, but if everything that you are studying with is Debian-based, stick with that.
    Either a Debian netinstall so that you can install only what you need. That way, you should be able to install the tools that you will be training with.

Others may chime in with advice, so keep an eye out.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Guru
    I'm not really clear on what your intentions are but if you just want to learn Linux, Debian should be as good as any. If you are looking for ease of use as a regular Desktop user, you could go to the distrowatch site and select any of the top 10-20 which would include Debian. I'm not sure what your question is, about the installation process?? If you've used a number of distributions, you should be familiar with the process or have you used them all as Live CDs. Is there any other operating system on the laptop? Are you going to try to install to an external drive?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    I'm not really clear on what your intentions are but if you just want to learn Linux, Debian should be as good as any. If you are looking for ease of use as a regular Desktop user, you could go to the distrowatch site and select any of the top 10-20 which would include Debian. I'm not sure what your question is, about the installation process?? If you've used a number of distributions, you should be familiar with the process or have you used them all as Live CDs. Is there any other operating system on the laptop? Are you going to try to install to an external drive?
    My intenentions and placement will involve both Management of Debian/Ubuntu based servers, as well as penetration testing on Sparc Database systems. I need to mobile and well equiped to work on my own.

I have at the minute on the Vaio a Duel boot with Backtrack and Win7. This is no good for Server management, most of my Uni research has been written in Word 2010. This is fine and my intention was to just to lift the drive containing 7 and Backtrack out of the Vaio and do a clean install of Debianx64 on the new drive.

This way my researce can be accessed and added to thoughout the time I spend in placement - and I get further exposure in using Debian in a business environment. Backtrack is fine, I'm very comfortable using it for the purpose's that I will be required to. My experience with Debian and LM Debian are purely as a Desktop user, it is my OS of choice on my main Desktop - In a business environment, I'm stepping into the unknown a bit. I comfortable with the Debian as a Desktop user.

However the final build would be different than if I were simply installing onto a Desktop for my personal use.

Compatability with my laptop concerns me most, The packages can be added as and when needed.

No I don't use live CD's, this is a Drive to slip into my laptop install Debian and take my learning to a greater level.

Jay mentioned netinstall, this is most probably the route I would take.

To put your more in the picture, my senior lecture suggested Fedora 16. I'm assuming for compatability - This is my issue - Do I take my knowlege with what I would class as an extremely powerfull and versitile OS in Debian and attempt to go with that OR do I jump into a business environment with say Fedora 15/16, pressured, 100% comittment and competance needed at all time.

Ease of use is not an issue, I have 11+ years IT experience behind me, have the usual MCITP, but coming from a networking/security degree also have CCNA, CCNP R & S and Sec+. I have no intention on furthering my networking qualifications apart from CCNA Sec.

Security is what I'm being thrown into here, and want to work in - I want to be best equiped, for the job in hand.

Ideally to get myself in with a chance of a job with the Firm when I finish my Degree or just enough expose and backing to be allowed to sit my CEH.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy1988 View Post
    To put your more in the picture, my senior lecture suggested Fedora 16. I'm assuming for compatability - This is my issue - Do I take my knowlege with what I would class as an extremely powerfull and versitile OS in Debian and attempt to go with that OR do I jump into a business environment with say Fedora 15/16, pressured, 100% comittment and competance needed at all time.
    If you decide to go RH based, for whatever reason, then CentOS or Scientific Linux would be great choices.
    Both are clones of RH, but with branding removed.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    If you decide to go RH based, for whatever reason, then CentOS or Scientific Linux would be great choices.
    Both are clones of RH, but with branding removed.
    Funny you should mention that, I have DVD's of both here now !! - out off the 2 CentOS fits the bill, as in I'm familiar with it. Scientific Linux I find really interesting, but have no experience with. Briefly is there a hugh difference between CentOS and Scientific Linux? I have used RHE while working a summer job around 2 years ago with Sun, If it was an option with this company I would like use RHE again, Its not unfortunately.

Funny you should mention that, I have DVD's of both here now !! - out off the 2 CentOS fits the bill, as in I'm familiar with it. Scientific Linux I find really interesting, but have no experience with. Briefly is there a hugh difference between CentOS and Scientific Linux? I have used RHE while working a summer job around 2 years ago with Sun, If it was an option with this company I would like use RHE again, Its not unfortunately.
    If you're gonna go for RH, this is the way to go.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    If you're gonna go for RH, this is the way to go.
    This company won't provide funding for RHE. Going with anything but LM Debian is going to bring up a whole load of incompatablity issues with my Laptop, issue's that I would like to avoid as much as possable. Bringing me back to the OLD question which of the mentioned Distro's will be best suited to the VPCEA3M1E Sony Vaio

This company won't provide funding for RHE. Going with anything but LM Debian is going to bring up a whole load of incompatablity issues with my Laptop, issue's that I would like to avoid as much as possable. Bringing me back to the OLD question which of the mentioned Distro's will be best suited to the VPCEA3M1E Sony Vaio
    Well, that being the case, I would probably go for LMDE.
    Jay

New Member FAQ