Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've done quite a bit of searching on this subject and have found several possible solutions. I made the mistake of not specifying my partitions during install so now I've ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help moving my root filesystem to another partition

I've done quite a bit of searching on this subject and have found several possible solutions.
    I made the mistake of not specifying my partitions during install so now I've filled up my 6GB parition with the root file system.

I have a 120GB HD with 6GB for the root filesystem and the rest going to my home directory. I want to simply copy over all of the files (root filesystem) from the 6GB partition to the 114GB partition that already has my home folder installled on it. I have plenty of room there.

I don't have enough room to tar all of my root files on the 6GB partition.

What's the best way for me to pull this off?

booger

Download a gentoo liveCD and boot it. Mount your two partitions, copy over everything from the current / partition to the other. Blam! It's done.

After that, don't forget to change the partition for / in /etc/fstab and don't forget to edit where your bootloader looks for the root partition.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Awesome!!

I'll give a try.

Thanks for the help. I will stick with LinuxForums.org from here on out. I'm tired of waiting days for a simple reply from other debian forums.

bd

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by bonedaddy
    Awesome!!

I'll give a try.

Thanks for the help. I will stick with LinuxForums.org from here on out. I'm tired of waiting days for a simple reply from other debian forums.

bd
    Awesome.

Just let us know how it works out and if you need any more help.

And remember...if you really need help fast, there's usually someone in the IRC channel *not* AFK. And if you want really random conversation, come hang out in the IRC channel.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Sarumont, it worked! I mv'd instead of cp'd and it worked like a champ. Though I did take your advise and I hit the LinuxForum irc. The users there were a big help to me aiding with one small issue with grub.

Thank you kindly,
    bd