Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi friends, I just went through the process described here: (double u double u double u) cyberciti (dot ) biz/faq/adding-a-user-to-a-samba-smb-share/ To create a new user for my Samba. We got ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't log into new Samba user

Hi friends,

I just went through the process described here:

(double u double u double u) cyberciti (dot ) biz/faq/adding-a-user-to-a-samba-smb-share/

To create a new user for my Samba. We got a couple new computers for the office, and I wanted to make a new user for them that wasn't bogged down by all the crud that our current user accounts have stored in them.

Unfortunatley, when I try to log onto the new machines, I get this weird error:

"The system cannot log you on due to the following error:

A device attached to the system is not functioning

Please try again or consult your system administrator"

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks!

Just Joined!
    Sounds like an issue in your smb.conf file. Output this and we should be able to help you.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by xRAVExHEAVENx View Post
    Sounds like an issue in your smb.conf file. Output this and we should be able to help you.
    Hi Rave,

I would love to do this except I am having several issues. I know how to open the smb.conf file with vi, but no idea how I could copy/paste into here.

I would like to SSH into this machine and maybe grab it through WinSCP or something, but unfortunately can't seem to figure out how to set up SSH on the linux machine with the smb.conf file.

Any tips?

Thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hi Rave,

well your post led me on the right track. After much grinding, I was able to figure out how to ssh into my linux computer (had to create a new user that wasn't root) and then I found the smb.conf file one line

valid users =

that made me suspicious. So I figured it must be a group, it had the @ symbol before it, and then I tried and tried to get my user into that group. Not sure how i did it, but then I went ba