Find the answer to your Linux question:
Iím still working on all the goofy hardware stuff. Iíve found a possible solution in DEB7. But Iíve hit a wall and now Iím stuck. The DEB7 installer is still ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Resolving dependencies KDE / Deb Wheezy

Iím still working on all the goofy hardware stuff. Iíve found a possible solution in DEB7. But Iíve hit a wall and now Iím stuck.

The DEB7 installer is still in beta and crashes when detecting my network. So I tried a vertical bootstrap from 6 to 7 and ended up with an unbootable mess.

Now Iím in the middle of a lateral bootstrap from LMDE 202104 x64 XFCE to Wheezy x64 KDE.

On install of LMDE I ran the updates as it pointed to the (behind the curve) mint frozen version of current testing (wheezy).

The I #íd out all of the mint PPAís and pointed updates @wheezy and sec updates @squeeze, then ran updates again.

I pulled in a ton of stuff, updated and rebooted.

At that point I had two different versions of the same kernel in grub. (3.2.x.x) I donít remember exact version and Iím not at my box. I *think* they were both the exact same version. (I might be wrong on this point. It was getting late enough that I was getting punchy.)

I booted in to the one at the top of the list as I figured that was *probably* the newest one.

I ran updates again and pulled in a bunch more stuff. But Ďgtk2-enginesĒ was held back by apt-get because it conflicted with the mint version. Iím slowly but surely blowing all the mint out of it. So I ran ďsudo apt-get install ĖfĒ and forced the install. Which triggered the uninstall of several mint specific packages (donít remember exact) as well as uninstalling XFCE; which was no great loss as Iím blowing out all the mint and not a fan of XFCE anyway.

Then I hit the wall.

I figure if I reboot at this point Iíll still have a functional system, but with no DE. My command line skills are coming along. But I still use the GUI as a crutch, so I donít want to boot in to the shell if I can avoid it.

So I figured Iíd install KDE full, my fav DE, before the next reboot. And now Iím stuck chasing my tail in dependency hell as nothing I try will install the KDE deps or fix the unspecified ďbroken packageĒ error messages Iím getting.

Iíve tried:

Code:
    sudo dpkg Ėconfigure Ėa
    (Also tried this one from root w/o sudo)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kde-full Ėf
    (Also tried variations on this w/ aptitude and w/wo -f switch)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    (Also tried variations on this with both w/ aptitude and w/wo -f switch)

Manually chasing deps through Synaptic and the terminal.

Pulled the man page on dpkg --force-help and tried some variations on --configure, but my syntax skills are still lacking. So I probably wasnít doing it right. (Iím still not really clear on how to take a raw list of switches and turn it in to something useable w/o examples.)

Did some research on the web and didnít really see anything remotely helpful until I found the KDE/Deb maintainers page. To paraphrase:

If youíve been playing with backports and youíve stuck yourself in this situation then youíre on your own cheese whiz.

And I figure thatís just about what Iíve done. Iíve overwritten something that has borked the KDE dependency chain and I have no idea how to figure out exactly what it is so I can restore it / downgraded it / replace it / overwrite it with whatever version of whatever package will unbork it.

Although there was a note on the page that in testing, sometimes these kinds of things just ďcrop upĒ and get fixed when they get fixed. But, if I had to lay odds on whose foul up it was (mine or the devs) Iíd give 10k-1 against it being the devs to all takers all day long and twice on Sunday.

One thing I havenít tried is compiling from source. I havenít really compiled anything yet. If I go this route can I make it pull in all the deps too. And if so then can you point me to a step by step by itty-bitty baby step for retarded noobs on how to do it, because I havenít been able to find one.

Any advice on how to get myself out of this mess without starting over from scratch for the 100th time would be greatly appreciated.

Linux Guru
    Also tried variations on this w/ aptitude and w/wo -f switch)
    I am kinda going through something similar (kinda sorta) with a fresh install on this old IBM computer with Antix 12 RC3 pre test final install. I needed this release because the new AntiX 12 3.5 kernel does not boot up on this box after install. So I feel your pain.

What I am doing is a apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade. I am fighting this right now

Code:
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     /var/cache/apt/archives/acpi-fakekey_0.140-5_i386.deb
     /var/cache/apt/archives/x11-common_1%3a7.7+1_all.deb
     /var/cache/apt/archives/irqbalance_1.0.3-1_i386.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    So my question is. Did you try

Code:
    apt-get -f Install
    To see if it cleared any errors you are getting.

Here is what I am going to try next to clear my errors

roky delete the pre-removal scripts of the troblesome .debs in /var/lib/dpkg/info

eg prerm for acpi-fakekey

Before that see if you can purge the troublecome debs

So my question is. Did you try

Code:
    apt-get -f Install
    To see if it cleared any errors you are getting.
    I *think* I tried that one. Maybe not, it was getting late and my brains were scambled. I'll try it when I get home just to be sure.

I'll also try:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove -f
    I've had that help unbork screwy dep trees while I was fiddle monkeying with stuff and I just realised that I *didn't* try it last night. I'll also try it with aptitude. I've run in to some situations where it does a better job at resolving deps than apt-get.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Shoot Take a look at my 3 ring circus.

antiX-forum - View topic - rcu_sched self-detected stall on CPU { 0} (t=15000 jiffies)

I am going through this because of special circumstances. The pre release iso I used has a broken dpkg.

I gave up on mine. I'll have to start over *again*. I did learn a lot though. And I did actually make quite a bit of progress. As far as I can tell everything should actually work, But it just won't. I found a bunch of tricks and licks for resolving broken deps and pulled in a ton of packages in the process. I even built all the deps for KDE. And when I run dep resolve utils like dpkg -C or dpkg --configure -a or apt-get / aptitude install (-m -f) or build-dep kde-full (and a lot of others - don't have my notes with me) they all come back with no errors. But, when I try to install KDE I still get error messages saying that I have broken deps caused by held packages. I've drilled down through the dep tree and used switches to unhold all held packages and after I get about 6 layers deep it will stop returning a specific broken package and just say that I have held broken packages.

But, I saw over the weekend the UB just put out a point release on 12.04LTS. I'll try that when I get home, see if it's any more stable than the original release; since no matter what I do I can't get straight up Deb7 to install on this thing.