Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Sorry but as other said, your question is not clear. Here's my answer though. First, your modem may be a stupid modem( a bridge ), just able to transform wide ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Sorry but as other said, your question is not clear. Here's my answer though. First, your modem may be a stupid modem( a bridge ), just able to transform wide band modulation over the phone line to Ethernet (or even USB). In this case, you may need PPPOE (or PPPOA) to log into your ISP's network. Second, your modem may have a support for PPPOE, though being just a modem (like, for example DLink DSL320B, or Netgear DM111P). Is this case, log into the modem's GUI using a web browser, and enter your login and password. Third, your modem may be a real router (like for example the Livebox we have in France, Spain, England...) with a DHCP server for a local network. Like previously, log into your router's GUI with a web browser and fill the required fields.
    Maybe you need a GUI for PPPOE. It's already installed and can be accessed by double-clicking the network icon in the task bar.

Hi and thanks again!

Apologies that my question is not clear enough.

My Question is, are there any DSL external software / program available rather than installed PPPOE?

I have just found rp-pppoe (external package), but i'm not sure if I need to recompile my kernel with pppoe-support to be able to use rp-pppoe (which should not be my purpose?!).

Thanks again,
    Charles

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Charles1718 View Post
    Hi and thanks again!

Apologies that my question is not clear enough.

My Question is, are there any DSL external software / program available rather than installed PPPOE?

I have just found rp-pppoe (external package), but i'm not sure if I need to recompile my kernel with pppoe-support to be able to use rp-pppoe (which should not be my purpose?!).

Thanks again,
    Charles
    If I understand it wrong, please correct me

Linux Newbie
    I fear that whatever the program you'll use, you'll need to recompile your kernel if PPPOE support is not included in your current kernel. The IP stack is part of the kernel, and is not a userspace program. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2