Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, Is there any DSL (Network) Software for linux? I'm trying to google it for hours, but I haven't found anything Thanks for taking your time (!) Regards, Charles...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy Is there any DSL(Network) Software for Linux?

Hi,

Is there any DSL (Network) Software for linux?
    I'm trying to google it for hours, but I haven't found anything

Thanks for taking your time (!)

Regards,
    Charles

I know how to configure to use DSL, but are there any DSL Software for Linux available ?

Debian Stable, Testing, Unstable?

Dialup, Wired ethernet, Wireless?

Debian -- Packages
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I mean for connection to a DSL Modem
    Thanks for reply!
    Last edited by Charles1718; 08-27-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Linux Guru
    You will need to be more detailed as to what the problem is. A system like Debian should auto configure a standard ethernet connection to a DSL modem, particularly if the modem is connected to your computer with an ethernet cable. If you have some other situation, please explain the problem.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    You will need to be more detailed as to what the problem is. A system like Debian should auto configure a standard ethernet connection to a DSL modem, particularly if the modem is connected to your computer with an ethernet cable. If you have some other situation, please explain the problem.
    Hi and thanks!

Well, I have an DSL-Modem that needs to be authenticated with email and password, what I am searching is something like yast2 with GUI (yast 2 is not available for debian) but for debian. Please see screenshot below.

I know how to configure with ppoeconf, but is there any other (GUI) software available out there for Configuring DSL?

Thanks again!

P.S. yast 2 screenshot example "www".mpipks-dresden.mpg.de/~mueller/docs/suse10.0/suselinux-manual_de/manual/images/yast2_adsl.png without quotes (!)

Sorry i'm only allowed to post URLs (http, ftp, @) to other sites after I made 15 posts or more.

Just Joined!
    If you want to configure your DSL modem, that is usually done through a web browser.
    Try pointing your browser at: 192.168.1.1
    This should enable you to log into the modem and set it up.
    If that doesn't work, you may need to contact your provider to get the proper address.

If you need ppoeconf, you can get it using the following command:

apt-get install ppoeconf

you will need to do this as root. But of course you will need a functioning network connection to do so.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by doctordruidphd View Post
    If you want to configure your DSL modem, that is usually done through a web browser.
    Try pointing your browser at: 192.168.1.1
    This should enable you to log into the modem and set it up.
    If that doesn't work, you may need to contact your provider to get the proper address.
    This is correct but I think this is not the solution to your problem ... I might be wrong.

I used to have a DSL modem which was already configured by my ISP, so the outside connection (internet) was on as long as the modem was on. From there the modem acted as a DHCP server so the only thing I had to do was to allow the network card to automatically get IP information from the DHCP server. Now my connection to the internet is via pppoe.

The logical rule says that you configure the device where the internet cable is connected to.
    If you have a pppoe connection, than the cable is connected directly to your computer or a network modem (recommended), in which case you configure the computer or the modem (via web interface, not with a GUI on the computer).
    If you have a pppoe connection and want to use a DSL modem, I'm not sure this will ever work, those are different technologies (by my knowledge).

The bottom line is that if you want to configure the modem, you have to connect to it via web browser.

Just Joined!
    One additional point --

if you are looking for a gui package manager for installing software, one such program is Synaptic, which you would install with:

apt-get install synaptic

As I recall I read somewhere that the most recent release of debian does not include it by default.

Linux Guru
    I'm still not sure what the OP is looking for but if you are trying to access the software that came with the router you can also do that. I haven't used that with wired connections for some time but have for wireless and you may just need to configure that. If you need to access the router software and have the default userassword, open a terminal in Debian, log in as root. Enter the command "route -n" (without quotes) and hit the enter key. You should get some output and one of the columns will show the Gateway IP which would be your router. Make a note of the number, close the terminal, open a browser and enter it in the address bar. Assuming the IP is: 192.168.0.1 as suggested above you would just enter it in the address bar. If that doesn't work, you may need the h t t p: // in front.

If that's not what you are looking for, perhaps you could clarify.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast