Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I have been asked from a company to create a mechanism to send a text message (sms) when a email is sent to an internal email address (like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Convert emails into textfiles

Hi guys,

I have been asked from a company to create a mechanism to send a text message (sms) when a email is sent to an internal email address (like "smsalert at mycompany dot com).

In order to do it, I needed a text-based email client to convert the email into a plain text file. Then I need an application to read the file and send it to a 3G dongle.

I can't find a good solution to read the emails via command line. I've tried "mutt" but it is badly documented and I can't get how to run a macro.

Any idea?

Thanks,
    Dario

Just Joined!
    Depends on protocol and security. And where the mailbox is located.

Remote imap mailbox is easy to read via normal tcp-socket on any programming language.

Local mailservers store mails differently. If its a file, you just read the file. Some use databases, if unencrypted, you just read the database.

Just some ideas I thought i'd throw there without knowing more spesifics.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gjordis View Post
    Depends on protocol and security. And where the mailbox is located.

Remote imap mailbox is easy to read via normal tcp-socket on any programming language.

Local mailservers store mails differently. If its a file, you just read the file. Some use databases, if unencrypted, you just read the database.

Just some ideas I thought i'd throw there without knowing more spesifics.
    Hi Gjordis,

I have to interface with a local MS Exchange server so fortunately I have not any security concern. Unfortunately Exchange runs only on Windows so I have somehow to read the emails via IMAP. Just I have to find the right application to connect from Debian, read the body message and save it to local file (on Debian).

Any idea?

Thanks,
    Dario

Just Joined!
    Well the operation is simple and very custom, so i would simply make a Python/C++/C/Java/*choose language* , which retrieves the mails of that box with imap via normal TCP socket. Imap protocol message-tables can be found allover the web.
    Most email clients have UIs and too much functionality for this task, so a custom application would be my choice.

If you want to create this "mechanism" without doing any programming, it can be very tricky.

Just Joined!
    Done via PHP. Thanks guys