Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, For some reason it takes forever to log on and log off some of our user accounts in our office. I think it's because they have become very ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Deleting samba user profiles

Hi guys,

For some reason it takes forever to log on and log off some of our user accounts in our office. I think it's because they have become very cluttered over time. I know we are supposed to, but the office was set up with more than one computer accessing the same shared profile login. It was that way when I got here and I am having a hard time making new users.

What I am wondering is if I were to search for every folder on the network drive named for a certain user and delete it, would it cause any harm? Then I could just let the user rebuild their junk over time again and hopefully lower the amount of time it takes for them to log in and log off.

Thanks friends!

I had a similar issue last week where a samba domain user took ages to log onto their system. The user had a couple of gigs of files in a folder on their desktop - which was copied to and from the server every time they logged on and off. The solution for me was to delete the huge desktop files and to tell 'em not to store files on their desktop. I believe there is a better solution using the Windwos domain/profile tools to define what gets written to the server and what doesn't. But I'm not a Windwos admin, and I've never done that...
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/