Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently installed zenix and love it, but with me being a noob I accidently set a desktop shortcut and can't find out how to undo it for the life ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A little help for a noob with zenix

I recently installed zenix and love it, but with me being a noob I accidently set a desktop shortcut and can't find out how to undo it for the life of me. every time I use the L key it expands the current window. This makes trying to install anything via terminal impossible.
    Also I have a slave drive in my computer that was not mounted during the install and I can't figure out how to do that either. I am used to the way ubuntu held my hand and told me it would be ok lol.Ubuntu doesn't like how old my desktop is so we had to break up ...I am trying to get used to my new partner but she is less forgiving.
    Any help would be appreciated
    metta, light

Linux Guru
    I'm not familiar with zenix but see it is based on Debian. Are you not given the option to Delete when you right-click the icon on the Desktop? If it is on your user Desktop just change to that directory and use the rm command: cd /home/username/Desktop, then: rm nameoffile.desktop should do it.

If you want to mount a partition filesystem at boot you need an entry in /etc/fstab. Have you tried to manually mount it? You haven't given any information on your drive/partitions/filesystem so we can't be more specific.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the quick reply, it isn't a desktop shortcut that is the problem it's a keyboard shortcut. there is a program in zenix that makes keyboard shortcuts (I think) that I had pulled up when I was exploring. It wouldn't let me close the window until I selected something on my keyboard. At first I had pushed enter and I'm sure you could imagine the hassle that caused. Somehow I found the window I had pulled up a second time again by accident and this time I slipped and hit the l button. It's been this way now for about two weeks as I try to recreate the "accident" to correct the problem.

As for the hard drive I thought I could use gpart to mount it as I did when I was using ubuntu. I found it in the repository but can't locate in my computer. I am just to new to manually do it without a tutorial and haven't had the time to look for one as I have been trying to figure out how to fix the L button problem.

Linux Guru
    I can't help with the keyboard shortcut. Usually GParted is on Ubuntu derivatives Live CDs but is not installed when the OS is installed to the hard drive. You are always better off using it on a CD or flash drive rather than from a running system. You can download GParted and burn it as an image to a CD and boot it to make your changes. If you can use a terminal, you should be able to manually mount whatever filesystem you have on whichever partition you want.

Have you checked the /media directory to see if your external is auto-mounted there? Do you have a filesystem with data on it?

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply, the slave is an internal hard drive and it doesn't show up in the file system directory, both my externals auto mount when I plug them in. it's no big deal and I will just manually mount it after I find a solution to the keyboard shortcut problem.

cheers

Linux Guru
    If your slave wasn't detected/mounted during installation, you would have to mount it and then put an entry in the /etc/fstab file for it so that it is mounted on boot. Lots of examples for fstab entries available on googling. Good luck with your shortcut problem.