Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I am using Debian for Alix, the Debian distribution specifically geared towards PC Engines boards. The Linux kernel version is 2.6.32-5-686 I wanted to know if the read/write ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

environment variables synchronization

Hi there,

I am using Debian for Alix, the Debian distribution specifically geared towards PC Engines boards. The Linux kernel version is 2.6.32-5-686

I wanted to know if the read/write of environment variables is synchronized, to prevent race conditions from arising if different processes are manipulating them?

I suppose I could test this or read a manual somewhere, but I thought this route would be a good start too.

Thanks.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Environment variable changes are local only to the process (and children of that process) that makes the changes. There is no race condition, and after the application that set them terminates, the variables are unchanged from what they were before the application started. IE, if 100 processes change an environment variable, then there are 100 versions, and processes outside of the one that changed them, and its child processes, will be aware of what those changes may be.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!