Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi folks, can anyone explain why this works via command line: mount -t cifs //192.168.2.51/D\$ /mnt/datastorage/ -o username=testaccount,domain=internal.domain and this doesnt work in fstab? //192.168.2.514/D$ /mnt/datastorage cifs username="testaccount",password="<hidden>",domain= "internal.domain" 0 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mount a windows share, works in terminal not fstab

hi folks, can anyone explain why this works via command line:

mount -t cifs //192.168.2.51/D\$ /mnt/datastorage/ -o username=testaccount,domain=internal.domain

and this doesnt work in fstab?

//192.168.2.514/D$ /mnt/datastorage cifs username="testaccount",password="<hidden>",domain= "internal.domain" 0 0

I have tried escaping the D$ in fstab as well

also, dmesg shows kernel: [25579.191307] Status code returned 0xc000006d NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE According to M$ that error is for a logon failure however my account is just fine as its a domain admin.

Thanks

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by nfoman View Post
    hi folks, can anyone explain why this works via command line:

mount -t cifs //192.168.2.51/D\$ /mnt/datastorage/ -o username=testaccount,domain=internal.domain

and this doesnt work in fstab?

//192.168.2.514/D$ /mnt/datastorage cifs username="testaccount",password="<hidden>",domain= "internal.domain" 0 0

I have tried escaping the D$ in fstab as well

also, dmesg shows kernel: [25579.191307] Status code returned 0xc000006d NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE According to M$ that error is for a logon failure however my account is just fine as its a domain admin.

Thanks
    Hi,

Try this syntax in fstab:

Code:
    //192.168.2.51/D$    /mnt/datastorage/     cifs    username=Username%Password 0 0
    Of course, replace Username and Password with your own username and password for samba authentication.

Read "man mount.cifs" for details on that. You can also check out the credentials option, which allows you to specify the username and password in a file instead of writing them in fstab.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, the syntax with username%password didn’t work, might be because the password contains non alphanumeric chars. Used a cred file instead and it works.

Thanks again!

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by nfoman View Post
    Thanks, the syntax with username%password didn’t work, might be because the password contains non alphanumeric chars.
    huh, so does my password, but mines works in fstab. anyway, glad you got it sorted!