Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys. I'm mostly new to this world but I know some things...I'm not a bubblehead. I am 16 years old and I have been using Gnu/Linux for about 3 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wich branch should I install

Hi guys.

I'm mostly new to this world but I know some things...I'm not a bubblehead. I am 16 years old and I have been using Gnu/Linux for about 3 months, swithching distros...

Is time to stop. I can't keep swithching distros forever.

I am planing on learning coding/programming, starting with Python. I have been using Ubuntu for a while but I think I need something more...SERIOUS? using an easy-to-use distro makes me feel like a baby. Bah!

I have been thinking on swithching to the father of so many distros around here, Debian, because it is serious enought for a programmer.. But I don't know wich branch should I download. Stable, Unstable, Testing?

I've not used Debian proper, but if I ever install it I'll probably settle on Testing.
    It stays just a touch behind the cutting edge, but is still quite up-to-date for most available software.
    If you are going to be worried about true stability, Stable might be more to your liking.

You could always start with Stable, and if you don't to work with slightly dated software selections, switch to the Testing or Unstable branches.
    Last edited by jayd512; 09-29-2012 at 02:45 AM. Reason: typo
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

You won't find much difference in Ubuntu and Debian. Ubuntu is as stable as Debian.
    If you want to control, configure everything yourself check Arch or Crux Linux and few others in the same league. I won't recommend Gentoo because it will be too much for you.

In case you want to stick with Debian only, go for Testing. One of my server running it for last five years.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Since DC mentions Arch or CRUX (also quite advanced distros), might I also recommend Slackware? Great stability, a lot of control of the system, and asSlack 14 was released today you'd have access to plenty of up-to-date software.

Just sayin'...
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your recommendations, but as a ''newbie'' I don't want to complicate things too much. Sudo and apt are enought simple, that it will be a freaking nightmare to adapt to another packagement system. It was a nightmare when I tried a little RPM of Fedora... so packman and other should be worse!

So, you say:
    Bugs + latest software : Testing + Unstable
    Stable + old software : Stable.

Well, I prefer to be up-to-date but the fear of a crashing or horrible bugs is still inside... I can use the stable brach and install the up-to-date versions of the software I need from their homepage.

There are a few bugs in Debian Testing but none will crash your system. For personal use, I would suggest Testing and for production machine, use Stable only.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

The few bugs that might be found in Debian Testing might cause an application issue... maybe.
    But the Testing branch is very stable in comparison to other distros.
    In fact, a number of Debian users have run the Unstable branch for years with never a problem.

But like Casper said, for a production machine, Stable would be best. A personal desktop, where you might do some programming, Testing should quite well for you.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    My God...neither Crunchbang nor debian live had a way to connect to wifi...wifi didn't appeared...just cable...

Well, thanks. I would better give a try to the testing branch

Just Joined!
    Wireless should not be an issue unless you have a weird chipset. I use stable on a hp laptop and a eee netbook both wirelessly. I also use testing on my desktop.

Just Joined!
    Anyway, thanks for your help. I realized that I'm still a nebwie to use pro distributions, so I chosed something simpler: Lubuntu. Fast, simpe, and easy to use. Huge software repos, and the GUI is more comfortable. Not like that bloated Unity desktop. And since it's less ressource hungry, it makes a great distro for a laptop.

I'm happy with it. I have tried many distros and each one has at least one cons... Ubuntu, the desktop. Mint, the huge power consumption, Fedora, difficult RPM and the sickennig gnome 3, Mageia and its ENORMOUS power consumption, PinguyOS, Xubuntu, Ugly interface.

I hope Lubuntu wouldn't give me any problem. Simpler than ubuntu and half-ressource hungry that Xfce-Xubuntu. It's enought to do wathever you want, including coding.

As I said before, thanks for your help.

SOLVED.