Find the answer to your Linux question:
I don't know where I heard this from, but I heard Debian is supposed to be faster than Ubuntu. I have a copy of Semplice Linux 3.0 (Debian) and I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is Debian faster than Ubuntu?

I don't know where I heard this from, but I heard Debian is supposed to be faster than Ubuntu. I have a copy of Semplice Linux 3.0 (Debian) and I'm using Xubuntu 12.10 (Ubuntu) already. Is Debian faster? I haven't used it yet (just feel like asking

I've not used Debian, but I suppose that it could be faster. Mainly because you can do a minimal install, and then add only what you want.
    If you run it with KDE, all the dependencies and then add some CPU intensive apps, then it probably won't be much faster at all.

So... it's faster in the same fashion that Slackware can be faster.

HTH

*EDIT*

You've also got to remember, Ubuntu adds quite a bit of what could be called 'bloatware'. Which, while making it an easy transition distro, does slow the system a bit.
    Last edited by jayd512; 11-04-2012 at 03:16 AM. Reason: see EDIT
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I run Semplice. It runs Openbox window Manager. It will seem faster than Xubuntu in certain situations. AntiX is even faster than Semplice though running Fluxbox.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home