Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I don't think Firefox works on Debian and I don't know if Midori does. Any other small fast browsers for Debian. I'm putting it on an older computer....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Small browsers that work on Debian?

I don't think Firefox works on Debian and I don't know if Midori does. Any other small fast browsers for Debian. I'm putting it on an older computer.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpghost6 View Post
    I don't think Firefox works on Debian and I don't know if Midori does. Any other small fast browsers for Debian. I'm putting it on an older computer.
    You can use iceweasel, which is based on Firefox, and Midori on Debian.

If you really want Firefox, see here:

linux - How to install real Firefox on Debian? - Super User

Here's a good list of Debian browser, light and otherwise:

Debian -- Details of package www-browser in squeeze

Dillo and Elinks comes to mind for a older computer.
    Code:
    $ apt-cache policy dillo
    dillo:
      Installed: 3.0.2-2
      Candidate: 3.0.2-2
      Version table:
     *** 3.0.2-2 0
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

photo storage
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

IceWeasel is basically FireFox minus the branding. Very few changes made, so you'll have the same functionality.
    I never did warm to Elinks, but I've used Dillo before on some ancient hardware.

You could also look to links2 for a light browser that has some graphical capabilities.

*EDIT*
    A few screenshots of links2 in graphical or text mode: http://links.twibright.com/features.php
    Last edited by jayd512; 11-07-2012 at 04:20 AM. Reason: see EDIT
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    How old is the computer? I've got a PII running at 450 MHz (with about 320 meg RAM) (it's about 14 years old by now) which runs Debian Squeeze just fine, using Iceweasel as the web browser. My only gripe is really that the machine is too slow to view Youtube videos inline; I have to download them and play them seperately. But I don't think that would be better in any other browser.

Just Joined!
    I'd have to go with Iceweasel on this one... There are too many add-ons that I can't do without.

Just Joined!
    Firefox should work but it's a hassle to install while Iceweasel works as well without the hassles. Midori should also work well but there are other browsers in the repository you can try if you wish: Arora, Dillo, Konqueror, Rekonq, Netsurf
    Note: Components of KDE will have to be installed for you to run Konqueror or Rekonq, making for a large installation (unless you're already running KDE), but it's not a big deal if you have plenty of disk space.

Just Joined!
    To clarify the issue with Firefox in Debian: Debian insists on building everything in its distro itself, but the Firefox people only want their copyrighted logo etc. put on a version that THEY build. But Firefox IS open-source, so Debian gets the sources from them and builds them with their own Iceweasel logo. Because the 2 builds aren't synchronized, the build numbering is different. This turns out to be a problem with some add-ons, such as Flash. I've had a bit of confusion in updating Flash on Debian systems in the past. Aside from that, Iceweasel works as well as Firefox.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpghost6 View Post
    I don't think Firefox works on Debian and I don't know if Midori does.
    Whatever works on another distro should also work on Debian. In fact, I'm not aware of any Linux web browsers that won't work on Debian, although I suppose it's possible there are some. Hope you are able to find something you like.
    oz

Arora - 0.11.0
    WebKit version: 534.34

Lightweight WebKit-based web browser

Running on Debian SID - nice little browser.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast