Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have loaded Windows7 on an 80GB hdd,open suse 12.2 on a 250GB hdd, and debian 6.0.4 KDE on a 250GB drive. This gives 3 different OS on 3 sata ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Triple Boot Pains

I have loaded Windows7 on an 80GB hdd,open suse 12.2 on a 250GB hdd, and debian 6.0.4 KDE on a 250GB drive. This gives 3 different OS on 3 sata drives.As far as I can determine, both debian and suse use grub2. How do I configure them to show all 3 and allow booting to each drive?

Linux Guru
    Are you able to boot each by selecting the specific drive in BIOS?
    Which one did you install last? and did you install the Grub2 bootloader for the last distribution to the master boot record?
    Suse 12.2 (the most recent now uses Grub2 as does Debian so you would need to update the Grub of whichever distribution you have in the mbr. For Debian, you should be able to run "update-grub" (without quotes) while logged in to a terminal as root. A lot of information on Grub2 for Opensuse is at the link below, Section 10.2.3 shows the command to use:

openSUSE 12.2: Chapter*10.*The Boot Loader GRUB2

Just Joined!
    I am not able to boot each drive fromthe BIOS. Debian was the last install and the bootloader is on the MBR.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    That's not very informative. Are you able to boot anything? Debian? If you can boot Debian, do that and log in to a terminal as root user and run update-grub. If that doesn't work, you could google "bootinfoscript" and go to their site, read the instructions and download and run the script. It will output a file, results.txt which you can post here to get help as it will give details about your drives/partitions and boot files.

Just Joined!
    My Bad! I CAN boot to each drive by changing the BIOS order. I can even boot to Windows from suse. Now all I need to do is connect debian to suse.. I had trouble getting the BIOS screen in the first post. Sorry. Do I need to update debian to grub2 or does 6.0.4 use grub2?

Linux Guru
    I don't have Debian installed so I can't check. I installed Debian 6.0.3 a while back and it used Grub2. You can check by booting into Debian and looking in the /boot/grub directory to see if you have a grub.cfg file (Grub2) or menu.lst (Grub Legacy).