Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am new, so give me a break! I have installed the network only version of the Debian software. It seems to work ok except on reboot, the display ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Jack

Hello, I am new, so give me a break! I have installed the network only version of the Debian software. It seems to work ok except on reboot, the display is out. It works up to about the following area:

completion of init-bottom
    then
    init makefit-style .. run level 5

then a few more but can't stop or control the terminal at this point and nothing the monitor just says 'no signal'.

If you could lead me to where and what script may be doing this maybe I could remove the offending code...

Thanks

Jack

Trusted Penguin
    Hello and welcome!

That sounds like an improperly configured monitor or graphics adapter. Check if you have this file:
    Code:
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    and if so, post it.

also, look for this file:
    Code:
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    and if found, post it.

also show your boot-time kernel parameters:
    Code:
    cat /proc/cmdline
    There may be video settings being passed there that are causing the problem.

Monitor goes off at end of boot sequence

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    Hello and welcome!

That sounds like an improperly configured monitor or graphics adapter. Check if you have this file:
    Code:
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    and if so, post it.

also, look for this file:
    Code:
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    and if found, post it.

also show your boot-time kernel parameters:
    Code:
    cat /proc/cmdline
    There may be video settings being passed there that are causing the problem.
    Hello, thanks for the reply. I am not sure how to follow this as I used a 'netinst' version (also called 'squeeze'). It contains the installer and a very basic system. So there is no X11 software on the disk at all. The reason is that I have a very slow Internet connection and I also pay 10 bucks a gig for data. So I figured that I'd buy a complete DVD set of the Dabian Linux for my Mac G5 for under 10 bucks and save me 30!

So as you see there are none of these config or log files created or used.

To put it simply it formats the disk to the requested format, installs the basic software (no X11 content). I have a screen the whole way through the install and when it ends, it states it will restart off the Hard Drive. It does and I watch the boot process via the monitor. At about the end (somewhere where it sets the default monitor mode) the monitor says "no Signal" and never recovers. So I can't do anything to view or evaluate what has occurred. I don't even know for sure that the OS is operating at this point!

The exception to this is if I hit the ctr+C key repeatably, it sometimes breaks out of the script during the boot and leaves the screen operating. Unfortunately I have no idea where in the boot this is occurring and what has or hasn't been done to the monitors. It appears that sometimes I'm in a 'setup-defaultmonitors' or something like that script. As I have an Apple HD in the computer now, so I can use e-mail and the Internet so I can't read the other HD. I am going to try and put it in to see if the FS is legible to this Unix variety.

Would you have any idea as to where the boot would end up with a simple Linux setup without all the bells and whistles. I believe that's where I am. This disk is available via the Debian install area and it is about 240 MB instead of almost 5 GB. It's also specified for people that have very slow Internet access. Thanks for your help as even though I've ordered the 'whole enchilada' it hasn't even shipped yet! So I'd like to get it up in something, Linux like. Again thanks for you help.

Jack

Hello and Welcome!

A minimal Debian install should be fairly straight-forward. So my first question is: Did you order the correct disc?
    Since you're installing on a G5, you need an install disc for the PPC architecture.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Trusted Penguin
    Yeah, good point about the G5, jay.

I'm not familiar w/the netinst, but it sounds like you installed enough of the Debian s/w to make it think it completed, so I'm guessing you just have a configuration issue.

Are there options at boot time, via Grub (i'm assuming it is Grub)? Usually, you can press the [Tab] key to interact with the bootloader, before it auto-boots the default kernel. The hope is that you'll be able to take a look at the kernel parameters and maybe change them, in order to boot. I'm thinking of starting with this parameter:
    Code:
    init=/bin/sh
    you'd add it to the end of the kernel line (the one that has something like vmlinuz-x.x ro root=/dev/blah etc.).

It's difficult to say answers to some of your questions, as I'm not a real Linux person. However I think if you read what happens about the installation and boot that the display works fine throughout the installation process. It's says it's complete and then goes into the boot off the HD. Even then the display works fine up until it's seems to be in the final part of the boot sequence. Here I see it saying it's setting up the default display and then it goes blank and the display says 'no signal'. At that point I have to re-boot. Sometimes I can catch it with ctr-C a bunch of time when it breaks out of a script (I think) and leaves the display 'alive'. I've tried to look at some of the scripts, but don't know what they are up too as they seem to call some other item I don't quite understand.

As far as 'netinst' is, it is a CD that installs a minimal system because it's for people with a limited speed access to the Internet. I have an iPhone hot spot which limits how much and how fast I can download, not to mention I pay about $10/Gig of data. So I generally order a DVD over downloading. However I did check out the disk, and it is a PPC (Power PC, Mac G5) configuration. Of course I don't think anything else would even boot! My video card is also on the list (GeForce FX 5200 by Nvidia) so it should work, at least it does until it's done!

Thanks for the help guys, I don't know what I'd do. However I have ordered a Debian DVD but it hasn't even shipped so I'm not really expecting it, if you know what I mean.

Thanks again

Jack

Trusted Penguin
    answer these questions/provide info:

1. assume the PC is powered off. when you turn it on, i assume first you see the system POST (BIOS info, memory counting, disks identified, etc.), then what do you see? Some sort of boot menu, I hope/assume? It is here that you'd want to interact. Maybe by pressing the [Tab] key or the arrow keys to select a kernel to boot, or maybe the F1, F2, etc. keys to read info, etc. There should be some sort of helpful text displayed by the boot menu that tells you what to do. Even if there isn't, press the [Tab] key as soon as the system is done POSTing, in case the bootloader is auto-booting the default kernel and has no timeout configured.

2. when you interrupt the boot process by pressing Ctrl+C as you've mentioned, I assume it drops you into a shell as root. Once you are there, run these commands and show the output:
    Code:
    # display kernel version / system info
    uname -a
    Code:
    # display boot time kernel args
    cat /proc/cmdline
    Code:
    # show inittab contents
    cat /etc/inittab

Atreyu,

Thanks for the information.. I have a Mac G5 so I don't get the normal POST information and other items a PC user gets. However, I did break out of it and tried to do what you asked. The output from all of these was kind of limited except the last the inittabs. I have a problem listing them here because I can't get the machine on line. I also haven't been able to transfer files or anything from that machine with the Linux boot disk in it. I was hoping that the Unix in my Apple G5 disk would recognize that disk and I'd be able to upload the files that I piped from the output of the commands.

No such luck. However one of the last output lines from the boot was "Setting up console font + keyboard", so I think it was working on it, for what it's worth. I think at this point I will just have to wait until I can get a complete boot disk from Debian and hope it doesn't have these problems.

I want to thank you guys for the help and head scratching that must have done to get me going. When I get it up proper, I will log in and let all of you know I'm up or maybe if the problem still exists we can work on it with better tools at hand. Again, thanks and give me a chance to get disks and install them.

Thanks
    again

Jack

A person name Milan, I believe solved the problem with the video. It appears that the Nvidia card I have has two terminal windows so I had to add a line to the yaboot.conf file, the following is the completed entry, what was added was the append line.

image=/boot/vmlinux
    label=Linux
    read-only
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    append="video=TV-1:d"

That solved the problem. I have the correct 6.0.6 PPC disks now and had the same problem, but after adding the line and running ybin, it fixed it, so I'm up and running. Thanks to all for your help, hope this educates others in what happened and I hope they fix the installer for Debian! Thanks again, all...

Jack

Really glad to hear that you got it going!

If all is good, feel free to mark the thread as [Solved] using the Thread Tools link near the top of the page.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.