Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am running debian testing with lxde desktop. I am trying to install a deb file with gdebi. The application is tested for ubuntu (application name is Invesalius- I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    rng
    Just Joined!

libgdcm error while installing a deb file

I am running debian testing with lxde desktop. I am trying to install a deb file with gdebi. The application is tested for ubuntu (application name is Invesalius- I am not allowed to put url here till have written 15 posts on this forum, but you can easily find the site with google). It is reporting that libgdcm2.0 dependency is not met. I checked with wajig that libgdcm2.2 is latest and already installed on my system. How can I solve this problem? Thanks for your help.

srj
    Hello,

I'm not 100% sure on this but please try to install 'libgdcm2-dev' or (if available) libgdcm2.0-dev package.

Cheers,

rng
    Just Joined!
    I just tried installing libgdcm2-dev. It did not work and there is same error. The installed version is 2.2.0-13, so it also belongs to ver 2.2.

Is it possible to create a symlink named libgdcm2.0 pointing to libgdcm2.2 ? Following files are found on using find command:

$ sudo find / -xdev | grep libgdcm2
    /usr/share/lintian/overrides/libgdcm2.2
    /usr/share/doc/libgdcm2-dev
    /usr/share/doc/libgdcm2-dev/copyright
    /usr/share/doc/libgdcm2-dev/changelog.Debian.gz
    /usr/share/doc/libgdcm2.2
    /usr/share/doc/libgdcm2.2/README.Debian
    /usr/share/doc/libgdcm2.2/copyright
    /usr/share/doc/libgdcm2.2/README.txt
    /usr/share/doc/libgdcm2.2/changelog.Debian.gz
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/libgdcm2.2.postinst
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/libgdcm2-dev.md5sums
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/libgdcm2.2.md5sums
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/libgdcm2-dev.list
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/libgdcm2.2.shlibs
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/libgdcm2.2.postrm
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/libgdcm2.2.list

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    srj
    Hello,

Again I'm not sure about this but according to downloads/3.0-beta-2 you might need the package libuuid1.

If (after installing this) the dependencies are still not meet install all the packages seen under "Ubuntu 32/64 bits dependencies" in the same website.

Cheers,
    Srj

srj
    I don't think creating a symlink with the old version's name will solve your issue. You need to install all the dependencies.

rng
    Just Joined!
    I hope installing all these will not break my system. What is the best way to install these deb files. Should I continue to use Gdebi only? Will I be able to remove them later, if required, using 'wajig' package manager (an apt-get front end application) ?

srj
    Hello,

Since the mentioned packages are the dependencies for your required software you must install them first. I'd use "apt-get" to search and install them from your own debian repository and not from 3rd parties.
    I never used 'wajig' and I don't know how it works. If you install and uninstall them with the same package manager all should be fine. Perhaps 'wajig' is using 'apt-get' in the background, in which case you can uninstall them without issues.

** I never used the above application and packages and can't be certain this won't break anything, but you need them to run the application.
    To be as safe as possible try to install them from your debian packages. I think you should try "libuuid1" first.

Cheers,
    Srj

rng
    Just Joined!
    The libuuid1 is already installed on my system. I downloaded all deb files (dependencies) and then tried to install. On trying libgdcm-2.0 deb, there was another error libssl0.9.8 not available. I checked that libssl1.0.0 is installed on my system! I have given up on deb install, and I have installed exe file in wine. Many thanks for your help. I am surprised to see that debian-testing has more recent versions as compared to ubuntu-LTS, which is said to be based on debian-unstable.

Note: I have found wajig to be a very good package manager for debian. It has numerous options and works by invoking apt-get, apt-cache, dpkg, deselect etc so that one does not have to know details of all these packages.

srj
    Hello,

I'm sorry the deb I found wasn't of any help and happy you found a workaround.

As another workaround you could try to install the application from sources and compile it yourself. Perhaps this will work better.

Cheers,
    Srj

rng
    Just Joined!
    For installing the application from sources, will I not need to change the versions of various library packages mentioned in source files? Otherwise I expect it to look for same old packages.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast