Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello: I have an Apple G5 and have Debian 6.0.6, but have some confusion about connecting the Mac to a windows machine which has Internet communications. I have many files ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Computer to computer via Ethernet cable

Hello:

I have an Apple G5 and have Debian 6.0.6, but have some confusion about connecting the Mac to a windows machine which has Internet communications. I have many files that I wish to have on the Linux box, but can't move them without a lot of writing to DVD's.

I have an Ethernet cable connecting them together. This cable is what is termed a 'turn around' or 'null modem' type cable. I built this by swapping the transmit data with the receive data at one of the ends. I did manage to connect to my OS X via this cable so I think the hardware is operating correctly. It also says 'Connected' on the G5 end, if that matters.

However I cannot get an ftp request to work as it and a browser using ftp, claims that the site is 'unavailable or too busy'. I can't help but believe that the configuration of the devices are incorrect. I use the windows stated ip address to attempt to connect via FTP in iceweasel or the ip via a window using the ftp software.

Even thought I have a wireless card in my G5 it doesn't seem to be able to receive a signal from any of my other devices that I could when I used OS X.

I keep an HD for booting my old OS X, if need be.

Do I need to tell the G5 what IP it should be itself? I have attempted that, but still no go.

Please remember I'm not an even 'good' user of Linux as of yet although I know computers lots of times a suggestion leaves out a step that causes it to fail, so please be specific.

Thanks to all for even reading, if not suggesting something.

Jack

Yes, first you should specify an ip address on the mac and in the debian pc. If one already have an ip, like just say, 192.168.1.10, put the other with the address 192.168.1.20.
    And then you make sure the ftp service is running.
    And then when you tray to conect to your ftp server call it by its ip address, not the host name.

It should work in this way.

Good luck

I believe that hardware is working, but I have a conundrum. I can view files via Firefox on my PC via FTP to the G5 when it's running OS X, but can't move any of them from one machine to the other. Since I have an iPhone hotspot I seem to be only able to connect to the Internet on the PC. The Linux software can't seem to see any of the Wifi from the iPhone, so I have to download it to the PC and burn a CD then move it to the Linux box. This is very clumsy and hard to deal with. I've tried to use the IP connections on Linux and the best I've gotten is "Connection Denied" I beleive is the message or 'rejected'. I assume that the wireless part of the Linux system is active, but the OS X can see the iPhone, but Liinux can't! Very confusing. I've also tried to install the mobilelib for connecting the iPhone via a USB port, but the kernal fails with a 'unhandled -3" error. Thanks for any help...

Jack

Ok, first make sure the linux wifi is working properly, if it is you shold see you iphone as an available network.

arespi, it appears from my reading that the wifi I have is not operational. The firmware code for the wifi adapter is proprietary and needs to be downloaded, extracted and some other things done before I can install it. The instructions are over my head at this time. I'm wondering if it might be a quicker path to get the USB Ethernet working and go that rout. Most of the instructions describe using the Linux tools to download and install while on-line. I will read it over again and see if I can follow it. If not I'll try what I can do.

Sleepy now, will get back to you. thanks for your help. Jack

arespi, I have investigated the wifi problem which is more of a problem that I thought it would be. I have chased down a couple of leads such as the Broadcom BCM4320 isn't aparently supported on this version, at least that's what the 'iwconfig' and 'ifconfig' software is telling me. I have downloaded the drivers via the PC to a USB memory stick and have tried to load it that way, but it is looking like I have to install the legacy software for it and the procedure is not completely available to me yet. Some of the support software needs to be retrieved and installed and I'm not that good with 'attitude' software. I did get some action but when I check it with ifconfig part of the output says it needs a 'ucode5.fw' piece of code. I don't know if this is the legacy code sequence or not as they say if my card only supports one mode it's a legacy otherwise it's not. My card has two and suggests that the code is a newer version. Anyway if I can get either to work it will be good to be able to get this system on the air with a connection to the Internet and I'll be able to try other software that is very difficult right now. If you know anything about the B43xx software, please let me know. Else, hang in there and I'll keep you updated.

Thanks to all and I am listening!

Jack