Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By objuan
Hello, since I've had lots of problems with this, maybe a better solution is to see if anyone can tell me how to stop the GUI interface from coming up. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Stope the boot before the GUI appears?

Hello, since I've had lots of problems with this, maybe a better solution is to see if anyone can tell me how to stop the GUI interface from coming up. That's were I believe I lose video. It seem every time someone tells me how to fix something and I apply it, it does work or it can't find some other program. I don't know how many times I've rebuilt the Debian system and after the loss of a hard drive and one DVD drive I'm trying to see a better way.

I have a Mac G5, when it installs Debian, it all works fine, but when it reboots the video is lost. A person helped me out with an addition to the yaboot.conf file, but when I try to run ybin it chokes on a number of issues. Then I find that there is a yabootconf script that will change the root for ybin, which is what I believe I need, but it also chokes when I attempt to run it.

So I figure if I can stop the gui, I won't lose video and be able to change the proper files, put the gui back and run ok.

Thanks

Jack

hello in the /etc dir the file inittab controls the run level.
    edit the file inittab as root and change the default runlevel from
    id:5:initdefault: to id:2:initdefault:
    kareempharmacist likes this.
    --------------------------
    Linux is the FORCE

Hi, thanks for the tip, but the file was already set at 2. What was this supposed to do for me? Maybe I don't understand the runlevels although I know about the shutdown and single user modes. I still don't follow what this does.

Thanks, after I hear from you I'll cancel this thread, my wife is so tired of me wining that she purchased a new Intel computer for me. I had to assemble it, but that was no problem...

Thanks again.

Jack

Ok, here is what is happening. Debian has put the display manager in each run level when you have installed the desktop GUI. I did not realize this because most of the time I manage servers with no GUI.
    There is several fixes for this. In my opinion this would be the safest, and I have tested this on my desktop and it works. in the /etc directory edit the inittab file and change the # The default runlevel.
    id:2:initdefault: to id:3:initdefault: 3 is no GUI with networking. Now change to the directory /etc/rc3.d and change the sym link for your display manager, mine is kdm so it reads S24kdm the S mean start change the S to K.
    K means KILL so example .... mv S24kdm K24kdm and when you reboot the machine it will come up in run level 3. other display managers are gdm gdm3 xdm.

I hope this works for you.
    --------------------------
    Linux is the FORCE