Find the answer to your Linux question:
Righty ho.. Installing Debian via the internet installer (I've just spend 9hrs downloading the files) doing a bog standard "desktop" install... and for some reason because of the way its ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Argh!.. what files can I delete?

Righty ho..

Installing Debian via the internet installer (I've just spend 9hrs downloading the files) doing a bog standard "desktop" install... and for some reason because of the way its partition manager has made my partitions (I just clicked guided partitioning and let it do the work) I have managed to run out of space in / , when the install stopped I decided to try to uninstall openoffice (it was the last thing I saw it list as installing) so I tried apt-get remove openoffice to no avail, no hard drive space meant the install had stopped, which meant it wanted me to type dpkg --configure -a before it would allow me to use apt-get again. So I deleted anything I could find regarding open office (using the whereis command) and resumed the install.

Its still installing (rebuilding databases at the mo) but just incase this error comes up again, is there anything "non-essential" that I can delete? and then install at a later time if needs be. I dunno.. can I delete Mozilla? or whatever (I still need to be able to browse the net).

Suggestions are welcome , and is it possible to resize a / partition using any tools available on linux?, as when I get into X finally I will want to obviously give some more space to the / partition.

erm before anyone says "Start from scratch" I cant, or rather I wont. I've spent 9hrs getting the packages down from the net, and im not going to be foiled at the install because of hard drive space.

Cheers! (I am new at this so go easy)

Linux User
    Programs to resize partitions: parted that has a gui version called qtparted

Well,when it comes to removing software, you can remove almost everything from you installation, in case of the most important packages you should be warned by the installation system that their presence is crutial to the OS.
    "I don't know what I'm running from
    And I don't know where I'm running to
    There's something deep and strange inside of me I see"

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your help . qtparted shall have to remember that one in case I need it in future.

I've now installed something called "college linux" for the time being, as I was concerned about removing files that may be required by the OS. (I wasnt using apt-get remove to remove the files I was going along with rm -fr filename im not sure if that method would warn me if it was needed.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by M3ta7h3ad
    (I wasnt using apt-get remove to remove the files I was going along with rm -fr filename im not sure if that method would warn me if it was needed.
    No, you should never delete distribution files that way. It's dangerous, leaves programs unfunctional and doesn't remove all the files a program has.
    "I don't know what I'm running from
    And I don't know where I'm running to
    There's something deep and strange inside of me I see"