Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have my system kind of up, however I have a couple of packages (.deb) that I would like to install. It seems that the apt-get software and aptitude ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Package installation from a disk or usb device , any clue?

Hello, I have my system kind of up, however I have a couple of packages (.deb) that I would like to install. It seems that the apt-get software and aptitude alike expect a DVD/CD or Internet connection. I have tried to put the files on a CD but the software can't find it.

How do you give the command line the file name and indicate that it is not on the internet. I have no internet connection on this machine, so I have to download it to a USB stick, copy it to my Linux drive and then try and figure out how to get it installed. I tried to double click on the file, but I only get an archive manager, not anything that will let me install it on the system. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

Jack

copy it to my Linux drive and then try and figure out how to get it installed. I tried to double click on the file, but I only get an archive manager, not anything that will let me install it on the system. Any ideas?
    Where did you copy the .debs to? Use the terminal and dpkg -i command to install .debs in debian if not using gdebi or synaptic.

I am still downloading headers and kernel images for my install so kinda of a example you can follow. You won't have the sux command. So you
    probably have sudo or su instead.

Code:
    harry@biker:~
    $ cd /home/harry/Downloads
    harry@biker:~/Downloads
    $ ls
    linux-headers-3.7.1-gnu-antix.2-486-smp_3.7.1-gnu-antix.2-486-smp-10.00.Custom_i386.deb
    linux-image-3.7.1-gnu-antix.2-486-smp_3.7.1-gnu-antix.2-486-smp-10.00.Custom_i386.deb.part
    harry@biker:~/Downloads
    $ sux
    Password: 
    bash: cannot set terminal process group (-1): Inappropriate ioctl for device
    bash: no job control in this shell
    root@biker:/home/harry/Downloads
    # dpkg -i linux-headers-3.7.1-gnu-antix.2-486-smp_3.7.1-gnu-antix.2-486-smp-10.00.Custom_i386.deb
    I am waiting for image download to complete first before I hit the return key/enter key to start header .deb install.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Check this thread. You can download packages and all its dependencies in a machine having Internet access and install those in your machine using apt-get.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First