Find the answer to your Linux question:
The command used to format a new partition /dev/hda6 with ext3 file system (1 block = 1024 bytes, inode = 512 bytes)?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to format

The command used to format a new partition /dev/hda6 with ext3 file system (1 block = 1024 bytes, inode = 512 bytes)?

Use mkfs.ext3 and check mkfs.ext3 --help option.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Are you sure its /dev/hda6? hdX device name has been discontinued a long time back. Execute fdisk -l command with root privileges to check exact device name assigned to your Hard disk.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

/dev/hdX has not been discontinued

Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Are you sure its /dev/hda6? hdX device name has been discontinued a long time back. Execute fdisk -l command with root privileges to check exact device name assigned to your Hard disk.
    I have to make a clarification. The /dev/hdX device name has not been discontinued as that notation belongs to IDE Disks, by the other side, SATA disks use /dev/sdX notation.

So, you should use the "mkfs.ext3 /dev/hdX" command if you have IDE disks, or change the parameter for /dev/sdX if you have SATA disks.

Quote Originally Posted by scampuzano
    I have to make a clarification. The /dev/hdX device name has not been discontinued as that notation belongs to IDE Disks, by the other side, SATA disks use /dev/sdX notation.
    iirc, Latest kernels don't use separate notations for IDE or SATA disks now. sd is being used for all types of disks.

I have a few old machines have IDE disks running Debian. Latest kernels ( I think 2.6.x onwards) have assigned sd device names to the disks in those machines.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Latest kernels ( I think 2.6.x onwards) have assigned sd device names to the disks in those machines.
    That's the way I remember it as well. I guess if someone were to be running a really old kernel, the hdX would still apply.
    oz

It depends on what disk driver you have selected. The PATA/SATA driver can drive both SATA and IDE disks but always gives them sd names. I think all stock kernels use this now. But if you build your own kernel and select the old IDE driver, you get hd names.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com