Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have installed a TP-LINK WDN4800 wireless card in my i5 Debian Linux box. It is supposed to use the ath9k.ko firmware that is on my system, viewed by ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

What else needs to be done with an installed wireless card chipset art

Hello, I have installed a TP-LINK WDN4800 wireless card in my i5 Debian Linux box. It is supposed to use the ath9k.ko firmware that is on my system, viewed by "modprobe -l | grep ath9"
    I get

kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath9k/ath9k.ko

However if I use something like iwconfig I see "no wireless extensions."

Any clues about what I may have to do?

Others have said they installed it and it worked fine? It is a PCI e slot dual band wifi card.

Thanks

Jack

Couple of things: First, /etc/network/interfaces has to know wireless is there. The following line accomplishes this; "iface wlan0 inet dhcp". Using this method you must #ifup wlan0 from terminal manually. To autostart wireless on bootup the entry would be "auto wlan0" (no ifup wlan0 required).

I use network-config (there are others). Using network-config from command line, after install of same will bring-up a gui. Press edit to select and test your interface.
    "Wisdom is justified of all her children"

BoDiddley, thanks for the tips, I will pursue them. A quick couple of questions, do I do the 'iface wlan0 inet dhcp' from a terminal (as su) to set it up? OK then about the 'auto wlan0' line, where does that go? Remember, sometimes I make assumptions and it put me in a much worse position, so I thought I'd just ask!

Sorry about being a dummy about this, but I don't know well enough to just do it. Also, this hardware is not, apparently being seen during the boot, but I do find it in the 'lspci' command, so I guess it's there. Does it follow the the code you gave me will start it up?

Thanks...

Jack

P.S. Searched for the package "net-config" and cannot find it in the Debian archive. Is it in another area?

No problem... the only one you can do from command line is "ifup wlan0". The other 2 are options for the "/etc/network/interfaces" file. you would add whichever you choose to that file using a editor. One would be to boot with the system. The other would be to start manually using ifup wlan0. One of the two must be in /etc/network/interfaces.

type from command line:

#cat /etc/network/interfaces

To display the current contents of the file.

(do not type the #, when you see # it is an indication that you are to use terminal command line)
    Last edited by BoDiddley; 01-19-2013 at 08:58 PM.
    "Wisdom is justified of all her children"

Hi, as a continuation of this problem, I seem to have the driver as I have entered the information you explained and reading the output it complains that the device is non existent. If I run lspci I get (edited) this

03:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9300 Wireless LAN adaptor (rev 01)

If I try the modprobe -a ath9k.ko I get an error that it cannot find the file, with the file in my current directory.
    So I tried the following:

#insmod ath9k.ko
    insmod: error inserting 'ath9k.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module

So now I've tried what I think I need to do and it hasn't worked. This is very frustrating and any help would be worth worshiping!

Something that also is curious is that the directory this file is in is not the typical directory and I'm wondering if that's a possible problems. It resides in this directory

/lib/modules/2.6.32-5-amd64/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath9k

Thanks
    Jack
    Last edited by jkwilborn; 02-02-2013 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Additional infomation