Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I have been having problems with debian 6.0.6. Sometimes the computer will stop functioning entirely, and just display a black screen. I have to do a hard reeboot. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

System unstable

Hello all,

I have been having problems with debian 6.0.6. Sometimes the computer will stop functioning entirely, and just display a black screen. I have to do a hard reeboot. Then it runs again for a while.

There are a couple of other issues I don't know if they are related or not.

One, I could not get the updates to work properly, it kept saying it was unable to get the proper files, or to run apt-cdrom. Sorry I dont have the exact error messages here. Then the last time I tried to do the updates the computer crashed half way through. Now the update manager says that it is up to date.

sudo debsums --all --changed gives

debsums: no md5sums for binutils
    debsums: no md5sums for bogofilter
    debsums: no md5sums for default-jre
    debsums: no md5sums for doc-debian
    debsums: no md5sums for g++
    debsums: no md5sums for gcc-multilib
    debsums: no md5sums for gcj-4.4-jre
    debsums: no md5sums for gcj-jre
    debsums: no md5sums for gcj-jre-headless
    /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf
    debsums: no md5sums for libaudio-dev
    debsums: no md5sums for libaudio2
    debsums: no md5sums for mawk
    debsums: no md5sums for netbase
    /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
    /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10periodic

I reinstalled the packages with failed checksums but this did not change the results.

The other problem is I have been having browser crashes with Epiphany fairly often. It seems to stop if I don't enable plugins.

I am thinking at this point my best bet is to just reinstall debian, but I thought I would check to see if anyoune had any ideas about how I could track down and fix these bugs.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

If you haven't done so already, I'd test the RAM before going to the trouble to reinstall. Also, check to make sure that all RAM sticks are firmly seated in their sockets. Any chance that dust is building up inside the unit causing heat issues?

Just some things to consider if you haven't already.
    oz