Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok I know that if you download source for a program you run ./configure make make install unless its already precompiled at which point there are shell scripts that you ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do you install from source and precompiled tarballs?

Ok I know that if you download source for a program you run
    ./configure
    make
    make install

unless its already precompiled at which point there are shell scripts that you can run. I have Assault Cube which came that way and I got it to work.

But, most of the time, I type ./configure and nothing happens...
    Or ./configure works and does stuff, then make does nothing...
    I am always hitting a terminal wall or something.

Or if its precompiled, as in the case of Daimonin, it runs and makes a .daimonin folder that has this in it...

installer (folder)
    contains:
    client.tar.gz
    Daimonin (config file)
    daistarer.sh
    daistarter.sh
    distro (txt file has the word debian in it, I know this is from the installation where I told it what distro I have.)

I just don't know how to debug this stuff. It would be great if someone could point me to a complete how to for installing from source and/or debugging for this.

Thanks in advance.

Is the package build-essential installed?
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Take a look at post #2 on this page.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    1) I have build-essential installed
    2)Read the second post as recomended...as I said before I don't know what is going on here. I'm running Crunchbang, I don't think that's an issue, (I think its just stable debian anyway), build essential is installed, but nothing works the way its supposed to work.

I'll do a step by step with daimonin (I have a precompiled version and a tarball, this is for the first one) to clarify whats going on.

1) I downloaded daimonin-installer-0.5.tar.gz from there site
    2) I ran the appropriate tar command to unpack it to a folder called daimonin-installer. This folder contains the following files:

Code:
    ldc@crunchbang:~/games/linux/DAIMONIN/daimonin-installer$ ls
    changelog               dai-installer-gtk.bash  dai-installer-kde.bash  license.txt
    dai-installer-cli.bash  dai-installer-help-gui  instfunctions.bash      README
    3) Next I read the README file, ran the appropriate .bash (I think it was the gtk.bash), which ran an installer which asked if I wanted to install and what distro I had bla bla bla.

4) After the installer was finished it closed there is a .daimonin folder in my home directory, which contains installer (folder) which contains

Code:
    ldc@crunchbang:~/.daimonin/installer$ ls
    client.tar.gz  daimonin.desktop  daistarer.sh  daistarter.sh  distro
    I think the .sh files are shell scripts and I think they sorta function like .exe (bad analogy?) but clicking on them or right-clicking and selecting "execute" does nothing and I have no idea how to run it from the terminal.

If all you want to do is run the *.sh files, first make certain they are executable using the ls -al and if not the chmod commands, then go to their containing directory and issue the command ./*.sh (substituting the name of file for the *) -- all in terminal, the last two as root.
    "What you think about me is none of my business"

Linux Newbie
    If your compiling from source more often than not there will be an INSTALL or README file to explain the installation process