Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I deleted it didn't I?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I deleted it didn't I?

Sorry, but yes. There is nothing present but a Linux filesystem.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockhart View Post
    I deleted it didn't I?
    Yes, it appears that you did, as that all looks to be Linux only.

edit: jayd512 was faster than me again!
    oz

I deleted it didn't I?
    I just got me a Samsung Laptop 15 incher for my birthday. First thing I did was open the backup recovery program in my new Laptop and make 4 DVDs from the recovery partition.
    Hope you did the same. If not. Ouch.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

There should be a sticker on the underside with some reference numbers relevant to Microsoft or the laptop manufactuer, you can call either to see about a rescue disk but you'll have to pay for it. Once you have the disk, if you still intend to dual boot, partition the drive first, put Windows on the primary and Debian on the logical.
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Just Joined!
    Do you think that perhaps your Windows installation was on a different drive from the drive you installed Linux on? The fdisk output you gave above shows only Linux and no partition for Windows. So if that is your only drive in the system, it appears to me that Windows was wiped out. This would have been something you did or selected during the Linux installation process. Usually it's pretty clear, such as a choice between "Install alongside Windows" or "Use entire disk".
    The plain-Jane text-based Debian install runs you through fdisk and assumes you know what you're doing, so if that was how you installed, that is probably where things went wrong. That's definitely not a beginner way to install Linux. If this hasn't entirely soured you on Linux, next time I'd suggest using the graphical installation for Debian, or another distribution such as Ubuntu or Mint that uses a graphical installation.
    Last edited by shaywalters; 02-23-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Just Joined!
    First of all don't get discouraged by this, 95% of the people on this thread has done the things equal to this, it is a learning curve but well worth it.
    I did the exact same thing and just paid the $19.00 for the recovery disk, that I/you needed anyway. Now that you lost it I would go ahead and make
    it work until you can get the disk in. You should just sign in and run "startx" that should get you to a gui, if that does not work after login do the apt-get
    listed above to get you a gui. Debian is a great stable distro but is is has a longer learning curve than Ubuntu. Mint, PcLinuxos, etc.
    If you reload win 7 be sure to google " install debian & windows 7" there are many articles to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by zrdc28 View Post
    First of all don't get discouraged by this, 95% of the people on this thread has done the things equal to this, it is a learning curve but well worth it.
    I did the exact same thing and just paid the $19.00 for the recovery disk, that I/you needed anyway. Now that you lost it I would go ahead and make
    it work until you can get the disk in. You should just sign in and run "startx" that should get you to a gui, if that does not work after login do the apt-get
    listed above to get you a gui. Debian is a great stable distro but is is has a longer learning curve than Ubuntu. Mint, PcLinuxos, etc.
    If you reload win 7 be sure to google " install debian & windows 7" there are many articles to choose from.
    Amen to that. I once deleted my entire 8 GB MP3 collection just fiddling around with fdisk, that can be dangerous. Luckily I also had most of my collection on CD/DVDs before this happened.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    When I entered the fdisk -l command, i got

insert disk information here
    /dev/sda1 * 1 76851 617304064 86 Linux
    /dev/ sda2 76852 77826 7825409 5 Extended
    Partition 2 does not start on physical sector boundary.
    /dev/sda5 76852 77826 7825408 82 Linux swap / Solaris

That was the information I look to be relevant.
    When I entered blkid I got:
    /dev/sda1: UUID="b6ef01db-c8d3-45bc-b42e-85b0f76d9ca1" TYPE="ext3"
    /dev/sda5: UUID="b3c1c64e-3676-440e-b54c-ba12319d05c7" TYPE="swap"
    Ok, first I use Ubuntu, which is based on Debian, but I don't know what Debian's install looks like. However it appears to me as if your Windows partition is hosed. If it weren't, blkid would report TYPE="ntfs". I've never seen a partition not starting on the physical bountry, but I'm pretty sure that is the reason blkid can't figure out what the partition type is, which is also why it doesn't recognize it as bootable.

If you have a backup of your Windose setup, I suggest you restore it and then try again.

Guesswork: If you tried to shrink your Windows partition to set up space for Debian, I would have expected to see Windows on sda1 and Debian on sda2. Since those are backwards, you could have wiped the early part of your Windows partition, instead of taking the free space which is at the end. So next time you try it, see if you can get Debian to be after Windows (physically on the disk) not before it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2