Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have Debian 6.0.6 with an i3450 Cpu. I noticed that after a while that monitor was very high. So when I looked at the monitor, it showed 100% ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

cpu stuck at 100%

Hello, I have Debian 6.0.6 with an i3450 Cpu. I noticed that after a while that monitor was very high. So when I looked at the monitor, it showed 100% on 3 of 4 CPU's. I looked at whom is doing this but all were some type of daemon with a name like flush:[other number].

I let it run for a number of hours and the processes never quit and I'm convinced that they should have been done as there was disk activity.

Anyone know why how or how to stop them without re-booting?

Thanks

Jack

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    This looks like an answer although not too much of one I'm afraid...
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    As per the link that elija posted, it may be a kernel bug. What kernel are you running? Also, what about applications on the system? If something is writing a lot to disc unnecessarily (stuck in a write loop perhaps), then this can happen as well.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    First check your disk space, particualrly the swap file(s).
    I ran into a similar problem with disk thrashing and the machine freezing only to find out that my LMDE install did not turn on the swap.

Some apps are sloppy with memory, and will gunk up a machine after a couple of days, basically forcing a reboot.

What I use here is:

sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
    /sbin/swapoff -a
    /sbin/swapon -a

First make sure your swap partition(s) are in fstab.
    And then wait a couple of minutes as the swap partition(s) empty.

This dumps the write caches to disk, and flushes out unneeded memory, and then empties the swap (virtual) memory.
    For many the first line alone would be enough (a quick process).

The last two lines delete (turn off) and then turn back on swap.

klachman, thanks for the input, I will try that. It seems that I was trying to format a memory stick and it had problems formatting (see elsewhere where I posted this problem) and when I looked at what was running it was a 'flush' type of daemon. My guess is it got hung up, but I'm not sure. It doesn't seem to happen when I have a successful format so I'm leaning towards that scenario. I was hoping that someone would post a possible solution, like you did.

I will apply your solution next time this thing comes up and will also ensure that the previous operations are working properly and not failing somehow. Although if it fails I would hope it would recover properly.

Thanks again.... I've written you solution down in my command book!

Jack

Just Joined!
    Then check to see if pdflush is on your system, and possibly if there is a newer version.

I found a couple of good links, but the system here wont let me post them .