Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to set up a lightweight distro on a small Pacard Bell 10'' netbook because it runs extremely slow with it's pre-installed Windows 7. So i went for Lubuntu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Xorg: No screens found. Lubuntu liveUSB on netbook

I'm trying to set up a lightweight distro on a small Pacard Bell 10'' netbook because it runs extremely slow with it's pre-installed Windows 7. So i went for Lubuntu as I'm most familiar with Debian systems, and planning to dual-boot it with Windows.

Anyway, I can't get the Xserver to start. It falls back to the command promt, and when i try sartx it gives me the error "no screens found"
    I've tried fixvesa -command not found
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg : Does nothing
    xorg -configure : Number of created screens does not match number of devices (Or something similar)
    There is also no xorg.conf file in /etc/X11 or /usr/share
    I've ben told that there is no need for the config file anyway, if the kernel is using KMS, which I've also heard is required for Intel graphics to work -Which this computer has.

I've been googling for days now, but I'm unable to find a working solution, and I'm not going to install this on the computer if I can't even get the liveUSB to work.

Oh, almost forgot, I've also tried the same USB on another laptop. This is an Acer laptop, also with Intel graphics, and it's working on that one.

Hi and Welcome !

I've ben told that there is no need for the config file anyway, if the kernel is using KMS, which I've also heard is required for Intel graphics to work -Which this computer has.
    I agree that config is not required but if Xorg is not working, you should create config file manually.

Try following /etc/X11/xorg.conf file :

Code:
    Section "Device"
           Identifier "Configured Video Device"
           Driver    "vesa"  
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
             Identifier "Configured Monitor"
             HorizSync 31.0 - 60.0
             VertRefresh 40 - 100
     EndSection

Section "Screen"
            Identifier "Default Screen"
            Monitor "Configured Monitor"
            Device "Configured Video Device"
            DefaultDepth 24
            Subsection "Display"
                 Depth 24
                 Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" 
            EndSubsection
    EndSection
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Will try that. I'm assuming that I just change the "modes" values to the resolution(s) the screen supports?
    Is there any difference in the performance of the vesa or intel drivers?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'm assuming that I just change the "modes" values to the resolution(s) the screen supports?
    Correct. Change Modes and Refresh Rates ( HorizSync and VertRefresh ) according to your netbook specifications.
    Is there any difference in the performance of the vesa or intel drivers?
    vesa is a generic driver and works fine with most of Graphics Card. Try vesa first and in case it doesn't work, use i810.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First