Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi Pimpntel I tried running the extended test on one of the drives but received the following response: Smartctl: Device Read Identity Failed: scsi error medium or hardware error (serious) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hi Pimpntel

I tried running the extended test on one of the drives but received the following response:

Smartctl: Device Read Identity Failed: scsi error medium or hardware error (serious)

A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.

I then ran the command to test for SMART compatibility:
    sudo smartctl -i /dev/sde

And got the following response:
    Smartctl: Device Read Identity Failed: scsi error medium or hardware error (serious)

A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.

I ran the extended test on the other drive and then ran this command to see the results:
    sudo smartctl -l selftest /dev/sdd

Results were:
    === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
    SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
    Num Test_Description Status Remaining LifeTime(hours) LBA_of_first_error
    # 1 Extended offline Completed without error 00% 26944

Just Joined!
    I thought it was sdd and sdc. Can you confirm?
    If you are getting smart errors on one device and the other one is no good, then we can proceed to a file system check on the working device. Do fsck. When you fix any errors you get place that drive alone back in your nas and you should see your folders. As for the other drive I would prolly just sent it back to WD if you still have warranty.

Just Joined!
    Hi

The drive letters changed because I moved the SATA to USB cables to other USB ports on my laptop due to intermittent connectivity issues. Let me know if it makes a difference at this point.

To clarify, one of the drives is failing the SMART test and the other seems just fine. I don't have the drives in front of me right now, but will try running fsck tonight on the good drive and inserting back into the NAS to see if the issue is fixed. Do I need both drives in the NAS to read?

Tks again

Just Joined!
    dont put the failed drive into the nas. Also when you introduce the drive back to the nas if you get a create new raid volume by pass it. If the fsck fixed everything than funplug should start back up and you should be able to telnet/ssh into it if configured. When you get a new drive you set to auto sync in dlink then it should recover on its own. If fsck fails there are some other options to get your data off, which we can look at if we get there. Good Luck.

Just Joined!
    Okay, I ran the fsck on the good drive (it found and fixed some errors), re-inserted to the NAS, but still don't have access to the folders I need. Is there a way to grab everything off the drive?

Regarding the other drive that failed the SMART test - if I reformat it, will that fix the issue or is the drive pooched?

Tks

Just Joined!
    when you had it connected to the ubuntu box were you able to access the files? You may have something else going on.

Just Joined!
    No, the drive is listed as a 526 MB Filesystem (though the drive is 1.5 gigs) and I can't read anything from the drive.

Just Joined!
    can you do mdadm --scan --verbose

Just Joined!
    Sorry - I have no idea what this command does and got this response:
    mdadm: --scan does not set the mode, and so cannot be the first option.

Just Joined!
    Sorry I took soo long to reply.
    Goal is to mount your md device, but we have to assemble it as a raid 1 volume. Ill test it out on a vm and post the syntax.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast