Find the answer to your Linux question:
it seems like the debain loader already has a in-built way of partitioning. when you reboot, it gives you the option to boot into windows or to parition for space. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wink *** basic debain bootloader question ***

it seems like the debain loader already has a in-built way of partitioning.

when you reboot, it gives you the option to boot into windows or to parition for space.

is this correct?

and where can i find the recommeded gb for each linux distro?

also any reason why many guides (of distro that debain-based) recommend a parition program to parition when it actually is already built-in? maybe because they are just bad guides?

should you parition with MiniTool%20Partition%20Wizard%20Home%20Edition first? dottech. org/95676/windows-best-free-partition-and-disk-manager-review/

good and updated links and guides that directly answers these are helpful

*** basic debain bootloader question ***
    Last edited by rm2dance; 04-28-2013 at 11:41 PM.

Linux Newbie
    it seems like the debain loader already has a in-built way of partitioning. when you reboot, it gives you the option to boot into windows or to parition for space.

is this correct?
    Yes... if I understand the question. A Linux installation will set up your computer so that it will boot the installed OS and the other OSs on your hard disk. Will partitioning, by itself, without installing a Linux distro do that? No.

and where can i find the recommeded gb for each linux distro?
    Duckduckgo-ing or googling 'partition scheme' or 'disk partition wiki' will have plenty of suggestions. But to answer some of your questions, partition schemes are often decided by what the OS is used for and who's setting it up. A generic desktop scheme might be 10GB for the system (root or /), 25-750GB for /home (personal files and settings) and 2-4GB for swap.

also any reason why many guides (of distro that debain-based) recommend a parition program to parition when it actually is already built-in? maybe because they are just bad guides?
    Distros use some parition program during the install process; it's not always the same as an easy-to-use GUI program. Some, like myself, recommend setting up the partitions before doing the installation. The partition program I'd recommend is GParted... it's widely used and well documented. You can find how-tos with images, and with videos, which show the process of partitioning.

*** basic debain bootloader question ***
    For future reference, your question is about partition programs and schemes... a bootloader is something else: BootLoader - Debian Wiki
    Last edited by fanderal; 04-29-2013 at 02:48 AM. Reason: clarity

it seems like the debain loader already has a in-built way of partitioning.
    Installer of almost all distros gives option to create custom partitions during installation but I prefer manual partitioning before starting installation any distro. PartedMagic and GParted are very good for that.

when you reboot, it gives you the option to boot into windows or to parition for space.

is this correct?
    GRUB Legacy and GRUB2 have this option but its not default. You have to set it in /etc/default/grub file.

Its better to create partition structure before starting installation. You will have time to rethink and manage disk space correctly. You can resize/manage existing partitions with much ease. Just my opinion.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Wink

"plenty of suggestions"

-- ok well can someone link to the most best guide on the topic? need a highly experienced person giving the link